African American Weddings
Options

Mrs Williamson's Recap :)

keyaira04keyaira04 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited August 2013 in African American Weddings
We were married Friday, July 5th!

Monday/Tuesday: I got my eyebrows threaded Monday morning and my nails done that evening. Then, I packed up my truck and drove from Indy to Chicago for my final fitting\pick up my dress. The alternation lady did a really great job! During this time, my mom waited until 30 mins until the deadline to pay for the cake; but thank God she did. My sister (maid of honor) came to see me at my apartment and had her car towed :( Lastly, my mom start kicking out the guilt trip (per usual), saying that no one was accommodating the mother of the bride ...What the HELL??!! Lastly, our Best Man became rude to our wedding coordinator. Amidst all the drama, I was able to get my "to do" list done with ease. Tuesday night, my dad made me dinner and we just talked and talked...he told me the best advice: "Your expectations are too high for people during your wedding. You are explaining people to act different (nicer, be understanding, accommodate you, think of you), BUT they are going to act the way they are like its any other day." After that, every drama filled issue that came up, I heard those words and reminded myself that this person, while they are being inconsiderate, is acting like that would any other day, so don't trip. This allowed me to enjoy my wedding week.

Wed/Thursday:  My sister warned me my mom had not taken the 3rd of July off to help me w/ setup AND may not be able to check into the hotel room, as it was reserved in her name. Taking dad's advice, the hotel agreed to let me check in and stay for one night at the hotel without my mom's credit card. Whoosah! I was little sad I had to drive all the way to the wedding location by myself,  but I put my game face on, got up early, and drove from Chicago to Fort Wayne, Indiana. I arrived just in time to pick up my TX mom from the airport; I thank God for her! Check in to the hotel room, then rushed to the church and venue!  Because I was so organized, we were able to set up the church and reception hall in 4 hours :) Then we assembled all the flowers for the wedding. By 11pm, I was in hotel room for some alone time. Just read the Bible, had wine, listened to jazz and took a relaxing bath.

Next day, my mom, sister, and FI arrived. My mom and I put the finishing touches on the venue setup...did I mention that I never saw the venue coordinator until the next day...hmm. Only time she called was to ask on Wed if I was still coming to set up since I was behind timewise. Crazy. Time for the rehearsal! At the church, everything went so smoothly. Wedding coordinator knew what to do regarding walking, backup music, etc. I also learned I would have a "lady in waiting", which was really, really helpful. The rehearsal social was so nice. I was so stressed that guest would get mad that we only have apps and soft drinks, but they were cool (or acted as such). I were under budget for it even! Everyone had a great time. FI and I then took some quiet time away to go see his family at their 4th of July BBQ. It was nice to have that time with FI and just be "us" for a sec and get away from the wedding.  We said goodbye... My TX mom then cooked crabcakes and sliced watermelon for me back at the hotel; my favs! I then went to sleep.

Friday: Wedding Day
I got up, prayed, and was happy. I felt rested and tried hard to savoy each minute of the day. I showered and washed/dried my hair. Soon after I was off with my dress to the salon. My Maiden of Honor came with and we were amazed the stylist finished my hair within 45 mins! Running ahead of time, we got to the church. I was so happy the sun was out to shine thru the stain glass windows...my little girl's dream was coming true! At the church, my girls and I got to my room and started dressing and doing makeup. My sister had a CD made of all my fav songs so we jammed and sung to those. One of my bridesmaids read Proverbs 31 to me as I was getting my makeup done and listening to "No Weapon" by Fred Hammond. At the point, I was ready to be FI's wife. I did have to ask my mom to leave the room, but in a nice way. It helped my nerves. FI and I prayed together behind a door before the ceremony...and we read letters we wrote to each other during premarital counseling 2 years ago. FI's letter was really sweet. Then it was time.

I said one last prayer and my met up with my dad to walk down the aisle. Even tho he denies it, I SAW Hubby's wipe a tear from his eye when I the doors opened. That was all I needed. I did not cry, but I was happy he was happy; that we were happy.  An highlight from the ceremony was the 3 cords activity. We had always made and proclaimed God as the center of our relationship. And we tied cords to show that. Blue= Hubby, White=me, Black=God. Another part of the ceremony that was impactful was Texas Mom's explanation of the unity candle. She did a great job explaining how Hubby and I, our families, and our friends are a display of God's call to unity and love as a collective. And just like that, we were Mr and Mrs Williamson! 

The reception was great and I received compliments all weekend about how great everything was. Hubby also was impressed to see everything come together....2 years of being on AAW paid off! After the party was the afterparty, which was too fun...I think the pictures tell it all. We only have 3 pro photos right now, but as soon as she posts the FB album, I will share it with you. 

Ok, this is too long, so thanks for reading and for all you ladies for helping me put on the Best Day EVER! 

Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Re: Mrs Williamson's Recap :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards