Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

What makeup should I buy?

I have pretty good skin, so I just want something light and natural... can't tell that I'm wearing makeup except do my eyes up just enough to make them "pop".  I am wondering what brand would accomplish this for me and if somewhere like Belk carries it so I can get a trial run beforehand? I am doing my own makeup, I just want to make sure I have the proper supplies!  Thanks!

Re: What makeup should I buy?

• Options
    I think almost any brand can do this. I have mostly used Estée Lauder and Coco Chanel. Mac is alright with Sisley but I feel like their foundation is a bit too heavy. Is there any way you can go to the stores and see/ try on their foundations?
  • Options
    Go to Sephora and get professional advice.
  • Options
    I would definitely go to a sephora or ulta and have them help you with achieving the look you want.
  • Options
    Urban Decay makes a great super light foundation the line is called Naked. They also have incredible natural eye shadow sets that I die for by the same name.. naked and naked 2... you can't go wrong.. beautiful!
  • Options
    Bare Minerals works wonders! It's so light, doesn't transfer to clothes, and looks really natural while covering up any blemishes and discolorations. It's sold at the Bare Minerals store, Sephora, and Ulta.  
  • Options

I would recommend going to Sephora or any Department store and have them do your makeup and see how you like the look & feel. I work Mary Kay on my wedding day & had great experience with it. I had done my trial with Aveda products, it looked great & lasted the rest of the day/evening when I went out, but I ended up being allergic to it and breaking out within hours of having it applied.

So try makeup for comfort and look, but do it well enough in advance of your big day so that way if you do have a reaction to it, you'll have time for it to clear up. 

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I think the only department store like that we have around here is Ulta so I'll try there.
  • Options
    Especially if you are doing your make up yourself, you will want to get a setting agent. Most make up artists will do this automatically, but its an extra step a lot of people aren't aware of that will go a LONG way. On your wedding day make up needs to last for hours and hours...plus you don't want to be touching up all day...In addition to good quality make up (agree with pp's regarding urban decay, they have the best pigment) you will want to use a setter to make it last. There are several options, all of which i am personally using...fyi, im not a make up artist, just have a lot of friends in the industry. 

For face you can start with Ben Nye Neutral Set powder. It's a translucent powder that will just help the make up apply evenly and not wear off...

For eyes, Urban Decay makes an AMAZING eye shadow primer. Your eyelids have glands too and by the end of the day most eye shadows no longer look their best. It also helps as a foundation for the pigment so you get a true-to-color application.

Finally, when all make up is applied (other than false lashes if you're going that route), use a setting spray to put a final sealant. Urban Decay makes a great one called "All Nighter". It's oil and paraben free so you don't have to worry about it causing shine.

FWIW i picked up all of these products and used them for a trial run. It really helps the application to go on more evenly and also last longer.

Good luck!
  • Options
    jamiebeck said:
    I have pretty good skin, so I just want something light and natural... can't tell that I'm wearing makeup except do my eyes up just enough to make them "pop".  I am wondering what brand would accomplish this for me and if somewhere like Belk carries it so I can get a trial run beforehand? I am doing my own makeup, I just want to make sure I have the proper supplies!  Thanks!
    If you don't have the supplies, I'm assuming you don't have a ton of experience in makeup application.  Honestly, for the amount of money you will spend on supplies I would hire a professional.  Wedding makeup application is a bit different than every day wear.....it's got to stand up all day and photograph well.  It's one of your most photographed days.....you want to look like your best.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Beware makeup with SPF like Bare Minerals.  It can reflect light and make you possibly look ghostly in pictures.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards