Louisiana-New Orleans

Venue ideas for non traditional, small wedding.

Hmm we live outside baltimore our family is in alabama and were getting married in new orleans. Any ideas for non traditional, funky, authentic, fun, party type wedding venues? Outdoors or in....just beginning to plan so any help is appreciated. The wedding will be may,24,2014 @6:00 pm with approximagely 25 guests. Think back street, underground, hidden secret, speak easy type really anything would help as weve only visited NOLA a couple times and everything ive seen so far is very cookie cutter-ish even by new irleans standards. Oh i didnt mention budget because weve not locked that in yet lol but of course dont wanna bankrupt the house! Thanks!

Re: Venue ideas for non traditional, small wedding.

• Do you have an officiant yet? They may be able to help you. Mine was Jeffrey Holmes, the tour guide for Strange True Tours, and I'm sure he could give you some cool ideas.
  • Thanks i appreciate it im overwhelmed and just getting started lol i cant imagine planning a large destination wedding :)
  • I'm planning and looking for offbeat venues as well. Definitely go look at Republic. It's a bar - no I'm not crazy - a really cool, hip bar with two levels, a balcony, chandeliers, lounge areas, stage, etc. It really is gorgeous especially at night with lots of candles. Very flexible on catering (Pigeon is their preferred but they allow whoever) and reasonable bar packages. Overall I was actually dead set on this place except that I had a few reservations about having my ceremony there with 200 people. It would be perfect for a reception-only or for a slightly smaller ceremony though. The option to do your ceremony on the 2nd floor where the balcony is almost on top of the giant chandelier sculpture is amazing. It has a very vintage, underground, hip vibe to it. Also, no one really knows that this place does weddings, I think they only do one every other month or so, but all the people I've spoken to have had great things to say. It's in the Warehouse District, which is a less touristy spot than the French Quarter, but there's tons of bars and restaurants around, and still within a pedi-cab ride distance to anywhere.

My other fave place is Race+Religious. I'm leaning towards this just due to the fact that you can rent it out for the whole weekend and you can bring all your own bar and food if you want. (Money saver!) It is expensive to rent but may be worth it after other savings and for what you get. Anyway this has more of a old new orleans / tucked away / rustic feel to it.

Hope this helps - just don't steal my dates! LOL.

• tigerlily2559tigerlily2559 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2013
  • tigerlily2559tigerlily2559 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2013

Ok I just re-read your post and see that you said you are only having 25 guests. That's great because it knocks out all my problems with too-small ceremony areas. I'd still check out both of those places - especially R+R sin ce you can have most of your guests stay on the property all weekend! And my date is in December 2014 so no problems there!

P.S. I have emailed back and forth with pretty much every non-hotel venue in NOLA and have my opinions on all of them. I can help you out with other things as well. Just let me know!           

• Also, go on VRBO to look for house to rent for all your guests, some may even let you get married on the property. I would totally do that if I had only 25 people! (Can you tell I am living vicariously though you?? Sorry for my over the top enthusiasm ;)

http://www.vrbo.com/442128

• Tigerlily, I just send you a pm!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards