Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon Advice Please... Mexico, Punta Cana or Jamaica??

My fiance and I are having a hard time booking our honeymoon. We don't have long, we are getting married in January 2014 (5 months to go). Originally we wanted Jamaica, however come to find out January is peak seson for these places and prices are high. Our budget is limited, $2500 tops (includes airfare) We want an all-inclusive resort. It seems that Mexico is more budget friendly but I haven't heard great things about Mexico and I tend to think of Cancun and Springbreak when I hear Mexico, but we're open to suggestions if it could be the cheapest route. Also, I have read a few things that the water is rough on the Atlantic side of Punta Cana.... when I look at resorts there I don't really see specifics as to the location of the resort if it's on the Atlantic side or Carribean side. Sorry for the long question... just super confused and overwhelmed (the travel agent I have been working with isn't much help). 

Any thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcomed! Thank you!

Re: Honeymoon Advice Please... Mexico, Punta Cana or Jamaica??

• We've been to Cancun twice and love it. The first time was actually during spring break and we didn't even realize it. In other words, upscale AI adults only resort = no loud unruly college kids. The second time was this past April right after spring break (prices were cheaper). Our total cost including every little extra you can think of was 6k. However, it can be done for less.

I have two reviews and a ton of pics in the link above my siggy pic if you would like to check it out.

We have also been to Jamaica (Sandals Negrl) and are heading back next year (Sandals Whitehouse). Review of that trip is also in the same link.
  • I'm in cancun and rm every December (13 times now). Spring break is in march. You might have a tough time with either location ( pc or Mexico) with your budget. There are a ton if great restaurants in playa del carmen and cancun so there's no reason to do an AI if you stay in one of those towns. Outside of them yes you need AI as there's nothing around. Statements like 'haven't heard great things' irritate me. What specifically have you heard?

Why are you working with a TA that isn't helpful?
    I don't recall having an issue in punta Cana but water can be rough or smooth for many different reasons. The water in cancun in December is often pretty rough. No big deal.

Punta Cana doesn't have much to do outside if the resorts as compared to cancun/rm.

• The only thing I can comment on is Punta Cana. I stayed at the Hard Rock over there; it's an all-inclusive resort. The water was amazing. But yeah, you won't want to go too far out of the resort. It's a well-known sex-trafficking area. You don't want to be caught up in that. But the resort itself is amazing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you are open to any of those places, I would take a look at whichever place had the cheapest airfare and then go from there for a hotel.  You will be able to get a nicer hotel or stay a little longer if you use less of your budget on the flight.
  • I'm surprised for you to hear bad things about Mexico. Is this the news you're referring to? Or others?

I would guess that the majority of people who have been would highly recommend an AI in Cancun area. Riveria Maya has some of the highest ranked beaches in the world!

We HMed at Secrets Maroma Beach and loved it. You don't need to upgrade to the preferred club. We booked our trip through Apple Vacations.  Secrets Capri is another great option based on reviews from friends who HMed there and it's less expensive.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards