August 2014 Weddings

private ceremony...?

Hi everyone! K wants to have a private ceremony, with 10 or less people and then do a public reception for our families on a different day. Is this weird? I think its great and makes the wedding a lot more special.

How do you ladies feel about it?

Re: private ceremony...?

• This is such a personal choice and there really is no right or wrong (despite what inluential family/friends may say).

Personally, I think thats a lovely idea and I agree that it makes it feel very special and romantic.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A reception is to thank guests for coming to your wedding, so I think that would be a little odd - especially since you want the reception on a different day.

I think that you can do this, but don't call the party a reception and don't wear the dress or have a first dance or anything like that.

Or, if you want to do all that stuff, you need to have the reception the same day as your private ceremony.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I agree with Veesmart? It is entirely up to you. I would recommend having pictures or a photo of the ceremony at the reception. While traditionally, it's to thank people, now it's more of a night to celebrate the nuptials. So e family members and friends may be upset they didn't make it into the inner circle for the ceremony, but many will be just as excited to party the night away with you and your new husband. And I would definitely recommend wearing the same dress! It's likely going to cost a lot of money and you are one of the Bly girls out there who will get to wear it twice!
  • That is what we are doing. Only we are not really having a 'ceremony'. Just a big party, I believe that a reception is just to celebrate your marriage. We are doing this because of our very tiny budget, we are paying for it out of our own pocket
  • totally agree, same here :)
  • A reception is to thank guests for coming to your wedding, so I think that would be a little odd - especially since you want the reception on a different day.

I think that you can do this, but don't call the party a reception and don't wear the dress or have a first dance or anything like that.

Or, if you want to do all that stuff, you need to have the reception the same day as your private ceremony.

You should either have a private ceremony and a party (NOT RECEPTION) or you should host everyone at both events on the same day...a wedding is both the ceremony and the reception not one or the other.
  • @cowgirl8238 It's actually perfectly a-ok etiquette-wise to have a private ceremony (and I think 10 people counts as private) and then have a bigger reception. Since the reception is a thank you, it's okay to thank more people than saw you get married (I guess?) but you can't do the other way around.

A lot of people don't like it, but it's technically not against etiquette.
    Anniversary
  • @ashleyep it seems you are correct...as long as the ceremony is truly private of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards