Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Reception Buffet

I'm struggling big time with this. This is a beach wedding, and the reception will be at a local restaurant on the beach. I wanted to stick to pretty much seafood, but I realize not everyone likes seafood. If it helps, most of the guests will be from Louisiana (both north and south parts). Also, there will be at least one vegetarian.

So, if given these options, what menu would you create? 
You can have either 2 appetizers and 3 entrees or 3 appetizers and 2 entrees.

Appetizer options:
- vegetable tray w/dipping sauces
- fruit tray
- assorted cheese and crackers on a platter
- chilled pasta salad - pasta mixed with steamed vegetables and finished with a creamy dressing
- full salad bar
- island boiled shrimp (I really want this one)
- 8 layer dip (refried beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato, olives, jalapenos, sour cream, and green onion) with chips and salsa
- smoked tuna dip with crackers and fresh cut vegies
- hot spinach artichoke dip with chips and salsa (my favorite)
- savory meatballs
- bbq cocktail wieners
- hot wings

Entree options:
- fried popcorn shrimp
- chicken tenders
- fried fish tenders
- bayou chicken (grilled chicken and fluffy rice mixed and topped with jalapeno white sauce, then covered in melted cheeses)
- chicken spinach verde (marinated breast of chicken topped with a spinach mixture, covered with melted mozzarella cheese and tomatoes)
- beef stirfry
- chicken stirfry
- seafood pasta alfredo or marinara (shrimp and crabmeat with pasta, tossed in a alfredo sauce or a marinara sauce with cheese)
- chicken pasta alfredo or marinara
- pasta primavera (fresh sliced and chopped vegetables, tossed in a creamy alfredo sauce)
- honey baked ham
- sliced roast beef
- oven roasted turkey w/brown gravy

Sides (these are included based on your entree options but just to give you an idea of the options):
potato salad, cole slaw, buttered corn, seasoned green beans, bbq baked beans, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, garlic mashed potatoes, french fried potatoes, and cornbread stuffing

Re: Reception Buffet

• I would do 2 appetizers and 3 entrees.  You need to appeal to the masses.  Are the appetizers served in a cocktail hour setting?  If so, I would probably do: veggie tray w/ dipping sauces and hot spinach dip w/ chips and salsa.  If everyone is seated at the table, I would probably pick something else.  Also, any way you can cut elsewhere or pay extra and get a 3rd appetizer?  Squeeze in that island boiled shrimp?

For entrees, I would select sliced roast beef, chicken spinach verde and pasta primavera.  Fried and/or tenders don't scream wedding to me.

• I would go with 2 apps (one hot and one cold) and 3 entrees:

Apps:
    - either the veggie tray or the fruit tray
    - either the shrimp (I assume the island shrimp is hot, yes?) or the meatballs

Entrees:
    - Bayou chicken
    - Seafood marinara
    - Pasta primavera

That way, you have your vegetarian guests covered for both courses, plus you have a variety of options. I agree with PP that deep fried food to me just doesn't seem like wedding food - especially for the entree.
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    allispain said:
    I would go with 2 apps (one hot and one cold) and 3 entrees:

Apps:

Entrees:
    - Bayou chicken
    - Seafood marinara
    - Pasta primavera

That way, you have your vegetarian guests covered for both courses, plus you have a variety of options. I agree with PP that deep fried food to me just doesn't seem like wedding food - especially for the entree.
    I was going to recommend the bayou chicken to the OP but I thought the jalapeno sauce might scare off people when trying to think of appealing to the masses.  I love jalapeno anything so that entree sounds delicious!
  • JoanE2012 said:
    allispain said:
    I would go with 2 apps (one hot and one cold) and 3 entrees:

Apps:

Entrees:
    - Bayou chicken
    - Seafood marinara
    - Pasta primavera

I was going to recommend the bayou chicken to the OP but I thought the jalapeno sauce might scare off people when trying to think of appealing to the masses.  I love jalapeno anything so that entree sounds delicious!
    Good point - I think since it was called a "jalapeño white sauce" that I assumed the cream in the sauce would keep it a more mild flavor. You definitely don't want to pick something that will be too spicy for your average guest.
  • I'd prefer a salad bar over a veggie tray myself.

Anniversary
  • elf92813 said:
    I'm struggling big time with this. This is a beach wedding, and the reception will be at a local restaurant on the beach. I wanted to stick to pretty much seafood, but I realize not everyone likes seafood. If it helps, most of the guests will be from Louisiana (both north and south parts). Also, there will be at least one vegetarian.

So, if given these options, what menu would you create? 
    You can have either 2 appetizers and 3 entrees or 3 appetizers and 2 entrees.

Appetizer options:
    - vegetable tray w/dipping sauces
    - fruit tray
    - assorted cheese and crackers on a platter
    - chilled pasta salad - pasta mixed with steamed vegetables and finished with a creamy dressing
    - full salad bar
    - island boiled shrimp (I really want this one)
    - 8 layer dip (refried beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato, olives, jalapenos, sour cream, and green onion) with chips and salsa
    - smoked tuna dip with crackers and fresh cut vegies
    - hot spinach artichoke dip with chips and salsa (my favorite)
    - savory meatballs
    - bbq cocktail wieners
    - hot wings

Entree options:
    - fried popcorn shrimp
    - chicken tenders
    - fried fish tenders
    - bayou chicken (grilled chicken and fluffy rice mixed and topped with jalapeno white sauce, then covered in melted cheeses)
    - chicken spinach verde (marinated breast of chicken topped with a spinach mixture, covered with melted mozzarella cheese and tomatoes)
    - beef stirfry
    - chicken stirfry
    - seafood pasta alfredo or marinara (shrimp and crabmeat with pasta, tossed in a alfredo sauce or a marinara sauce with cheese)
    - chicken pasta alfredo or marinara
    - pasta primavera (fresh sliced and chopped vegetables, tossed in a creamy alfredo sauce)
    - honey baked ham
    - sliced roast beef
    - oven roasted turkey w/brown gravy

Sides (these are included based on your entree options but just to give you an idea of the options):
    potato salad, cole slaw, buttered corn, seasoned green beans, bbq baked beans, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, garlic mashed potatoes, french fried potatoes, and cornbread stuffing
    I highlighted 3 of each. Can they do bbq? It'd be so good with the sides they have!
    *********************************************************************************

• Just out of curiosity, which side goes with the pasta primavera? I am a pescaterain, but I am usually wary of a fair amount of those side dishes because they can (and usually are) made with a beef based broth or it's not unusual for them to have bacon in them. The rest (all the potato based things) seem like really heavy sides for pasta in alfredo sauce. 
  • "So, if given these options, what menu would you create? 
    You can have either 2 appetizers and 3 entrees or 3 appetizers and 2 entrees."
    Appetizers:
    full salad bar
    island boiled shrimp (since you want it)

Entrees:
    chicken pasta alfredo 
    beef stir-fry
    pasta primavera (vegetarian option)  

But that's just me.  I think you should try to judge what your guests would like to see on the menu and provide options for every taste/dietary limitations.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards