Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Very specific South Pacific Questions

We are about halfway through saving for what was going to be a 2015 South Pacific vacation that was going to be thoroughly and meticulously planned and researched.
Well, H just got an offer to work on a documentary in Vanuatu (islands in the South Pacific) in October (!!!!). Which means his flight, closing in on $2K, is completely paid for. So with the money we have now plus whatever we can scrape together + credit cards we are going to try to make this trip happen with my flying out there at the end of October.
We have $3000 saved, and we can probably save another $1000 in the next two months by trimming some expenses. We are not opposed to putting some on credit cards, but would obviously love to keep that at a minimum. We would like to do around 10 days, but getting time off work isn't really an issue for either of us.

My question, for anyone who is familiar - what should we do??? I'm kind of freaking out, and I suppose I should try to contact a travel agent. Should we try to make it over to Australia? Should we stay in Vanuatu? Go somewhere else in the South Pacific? While we LOVE the outdoors, hiking, etc. we're not exactly fitness buffs so we couldn't do something active every day. Our ideal vacation when we go anywhere is probably 70% active stuff, 30% taking it a little more easy.

Thanks to any direction anyone could give us! :)

Re: Very specific South Pacific Questions

• Options
    Do you have an idea of what airline you'd fly? I highly recommend looking into Air New Zealand and also spending time in NZ. It will allow you to be active and then have some beach time in Vanuatu. The exchange rate in NZ is also better than Australia, so your money will go further.

• Options
    I have no idea what airline, but we live in Dallas, so we have easy access to an international airport. Would you recommend my flying into Vanuatu for a couple of days and then us hopping over to New Zealand together?
  • Options
    If you're in Dallas, Qantas will be the most direct airline, though you'd have to take Air Vanuatu from Australia. Air New Zealand would require you to stop in LA and Auckland before heading on to Vanuatu. Fiji Airways also goes there, so you'd have to do DFW-LAX-NAN and then onwards. So, lots of options! I'd see which airline has the cheapest airfare and then decide where you want to go from there. Though one thing to keep in mind is that stopping in Fiji will actually be the most direct route and least flying time. Also, Fiji Airways is having some really good sales right now because they just rebranded (they used to be Air Pacific.) After thinking about it and  having been to Fiji and Australia (we're going to NZ next year), I'd have a hard time skipping Fiji given that I spent 2.5 weeks in Australia and didn't even scratch the surface. I'd save NZ and Australia for when I had more time.

• Options
    Fiji would be great, but I'm trying to cut down on the amount of flying he will do, since the production company is paying for his flight in and out of Vanuatu. So many wrinkles...
    Do you have a travel agent you recommend? I'm sure I could find a great one in Dallas, just wanted to get your opinion. Thank you so much for your advice, it's VERY helpful.
  • Options
    I sent you a PM!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards