Not Engaged Yet
Options

How many is too many?

I saw on fb and then on tk that a bride had 80.. Yes 80 bridesmaids.. How many is too many? I had 7 and that was enough for me, I can't imagine 80...

http://blog.theknot.com/2013/08/12/this-bride-had-80-bridesmaids/?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-aug2013-_-blog-_-80bridesmaids
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: How many is too many?

• Options
    Oh my! That is insane lol. I have 6 bridesmaids and I think that is a lot lol. A friend of mine from church told me she had 20 something bridesmaids and I almost fell over.
  • Options

80 is crazy. I don't even know if I have 80 girlfriends in total! I only had two BMs and I thought it was perfect. I was able to spend quality time with both of them that weekend and I really thought it was special having my two closest girlfriends up there with me.

I guess I'd have to admit I side-eye anyone with more than 5. (Please don't take this personally anyone out there who had 5+) I totally understand that there are girls out there that feel obligated to invite EVERYONE if they're in a close knit group of friends or if they have big families...but to me, it's about having the people you're closest to, and how many people can honestly say they're genuinely close with 80 people??? 

• Options
    I can't imagine 80. I felt my 7 was over doing it. Moh, 4 bm and 2 jr bm... I honestly don't know 80 females on that kind of personal basis. It looked like a teacher and her students lol
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I don't think I know 80 females, period. That's a lot of BMs.
  • Options
    Holy crap!  80!!!  I had three good friends stand up as well as my sister for a total of four.
  • Options
    That's ridiculous. I didn't even have 80 guests. I think 5 or 6 is a good max. I had three and think three or four is ideal.
  • Options
    That is insane. I'm only planning on asking my best friend to stand up with me but I would say around 6 is a good max.

• Options
    I guess it depends on how big the wedding is.  As a general rule, I think your BP should be no larger than 10% of the guests at your wedding.

So if you have 100 people in attendance, there should be no more than 10 people in the BP (including BMs and GM).

FTR, I had about 100 people attend my wedding, and our BP was 4 BMs, 4 GM, and 1 FG.
  • Options
    Oh my! I'd say more then 5 is too many. I have 5 but really wish I'd only chosen my closest 2 friends because there is way to much drama. Oh well.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    let's see, we had:

2 MOH
    3 BM

1 BM
    1 BB (best boy, H's youngest bro wanted to be the "best man")
    4 GM

it felt like a lot, but H comes from a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge family.  so it was what it was.  the wedding was also big (approx. 400 came).  ridiculous, I know, but I guess that is how H's Hispanic community does it!
  • Options

I'm having 1 MOH and 3 bridesmaids, FI is having one best man and 3 or 4 groomsmen.  We will have a flower girl and a ring bearer,  our guest list is at 120 right now. 

I couldn't imagine 80.  I even think 4 is too many....

Anniversary

• Options
    Awww.. it was a dance teacher and she had all her students as a bridesmaid, plus 6 family... that's kinda cute... isn't it? lol. I think it's a cute gesture but had it been just 8- women she knew or related to, now THAT's crazy... (ok, 80 of anyone is still crazy)
  • Options
    Ugh I battle with this constantly!  I mean, I'd never consider 80, but as of right now it looks like I'll have 1 MOH and 9 BMs...yikes.  Truthfully, I have 6 really close friends from high school and 1 really close friend from college, all of which I really want by my side at my wedding and none of which I could ever choose between.  I think 7 would be fine, but then FI has 3 sisters (I have none), and I feel really strongly that siblings of the bride and groom should always be asked to be in the wedding, plus all three are wonderful and I really want them to feel like they're a part of things.  So...there we are with 10 girls and at this point I just don't see a way around it!  We'll have about 200 guests, so I guess by @loves2shop4shoes' 10% rule I'm in the clear!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @Belle2188 You could just have your FI have his sisters on his side if it's that important to him, sides dont have to be even or gender-specific. And sibs of the bride/groom don't have to be included if you don't want them to, being a guest is an honor too.
  • Options
    Awww.. it was a dance teacher and she had all her students as a bridesmaid, plus 6 family... that's kinda cute... isn't it? lol. I think it's a cute gesture but had it been just 8- women she knew or related to, now THAT's crazy... (ok, 80 of anyone is still crazy)
    Eh, I don't really think it's cute. It's really excessive and kinda of makes the honor of being a BM not an honor.

• Options
    That's ridiculous and not cute. 

I had 4 BMs and H and 5 GM. 

• Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    Teddy917 said:
    @Belle2188 You could just have your FI have his sisters on his side if it's that important to him, sides dont have to be even or gender-specific. And sibs of the bride/groom don't have to be included if you don't want them to, being a guest is an honor too.
    Ditto. There is no reason you HAVE to have his sisters stand on your side. And siblings do not need to be asked just because they are siblings. Neither of my parents had all of their sibling in their wedding party - my dad didn't have any of his brothers or sisters actually.

• Options
    I had 2 bridesmaids and I do not regret it for a moment. I've been to weddings with 6 or 7 and it just seems excessive. I couldn't imagine 80!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    Teddy917 said:
    Agreed. I think you should only have the people who are closest to you on your side. If your FI wants his sisters in the wedding, that's great. But they can go on his side. They don't have to go on the bride's side just because they're female.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards