Second Weddings

Is "no children" rude?

edited August 2013 in Second Weddings
Obviously it wouldn't be stated like this....but, is it rude to have an adult only party?  Both me and my fiance have children from previous marriages but they are not attending the wedding.  We want an adult atmosphere with just a few couple who are able to let loose.  is this bad?  ...feeling guilty.

Re: Is "no children" rude?

• Nope, not rude at all.  Just be prepared for some to decline since their kids aren't invited.  ~Donna
  • Nope.  Not rude at all.  I'm even sending my own child away before dinner starts.
  • Nope that isn't rude at all.  Plan it that way and have fun!
  • It's not rude to exclude children from a party. Just invite whom you want. The only thing rude would be if you were to write "adults only" on your invitation or website. Just put the adults/invitees names on the envelopes. If adults don't see kids names, they'll figure out who's invited and who's not invited.
  • Not rude at all. We're having a DW in part to avoid the aggravation of relatives insisting their children must come. At our welcome home local reception children must leave by 6pm, bar rules and ours. If this prevents people from joining us at either, we're cool with that.
  • How would you write it on the invitation if you don't put "adult only" reception? I have some rather dense family members who would still bring their children if I didn't spell it out.

• It is rude to write who is not invited on the invite.
    The Invites and Paper board covers this topic a lot...go check out some threads on there for more info and suggestions if you are really concerned about "dense" guests.
    Q: I don't want people to bring their kids.  How do I communicate this?

A: Address the envelopes (inner and outer) to the people invited.  
    If a guests RSVPs with their children, call them up and say, "I'm sorry for the confusion.  We are having an adult reception and aren't able to accomodate little Johnny.  I hope that you and Bob are still able to attend".

GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• It's fine to have a wedding with no children invited.  It is rude, however, to put anything like "Adults only", "No children", "Adult Reception", or anything about it on the invitation.  Just address the invites to the adults and if anyone RSVPs with their kids, you need to call them and say you are sorry but the invitation was only meant for Mr. and Mrs. Jones.
  • It's not rude at all. Invite who you want to share your day with. Why feel guilty?
  • It's not rude at all, my brother had an adult only wedding and reception, and it was really nice. I don't know if anyone was offended by that, as most of our family and friends tend to find babysitters for young children who aren't part of the party.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards