Moms and Maids

MOB dresses for women of color

Hi all!

I am biracial woman getting married next year, and I am trying to find examples of dresses for women of color for my Dominican mother.  I want to have somewhat of an idea of how a range of colors can look on someone more darker-complected, but I am having trouble as I scour the Internet.  She is rather vivacious and looks young for her age (53), so I don't want to have her in a dress that looks too matronly, or too young!  My colors are teal and yellow, and I have thought about having her wear yellow.  Any websites or stores (David's Bridal was not much of a help) or even dresses, would be of much help.

Thanks in advance!

Re: MOB dresses for women of color

• edited August 2013
    There is an extremely easy solution here: let her pick out and wear whatever she wants! Unless she is actually in the wedding party as a bridesmaid or MOH, you should not tell her what to wear, not even the color.

ETA: My mother found her dress at Dillard's. Dresses marketed specifically for MOBs are mostly really ugly, IMO.
  • If your mom likes wearing bright colors, you might steer her toward department stores. They're clearing out the summer stock, so the bright colors are on killer sale right now. Just as a thought.

No matter what, though, your mom should wear whatever makes her feel fabulous.
  • You shouldn't be dictating your mother's dress. Let her wear whatever she feels beautiful in. 
  • Proper etiquette is that everyone except the wedding party chooses their own outfits. So the MOB chooses whatever she wants.

Lucky for you AND her. You don't have to worry about it. She gets to pick something she thinks flatters her skin tone and looks good.
    *********************************************************************************

• NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    I assume you're looking for her as her options are limited in the DR. You and she can check dept stores for a dress SHE likes. I agree that MOB labeled dresses are really frumpy.
  • Thank you, NYCMercedes, for an actual cogent, logical response.  Most MOB dresses are incredibly frumpy, and I want to help her find something that doesn't look frumpy.  She's here in the States, but I know when we do go dress shopping for her, she'll need to find something inexpensive and still nice.
  • Department stores are probably your best bet for inexpensive and nice.  She can wear whatever color or style she feels good in (as long as it complements the formality of the wedding and isn't the same color as your dress).  I'm sure she knows what colors she looks good in.
  • Thank you, NYCMercedes, for an actual cogent, logical response.  Most MOB dresses are incredibly frumpy, and I want to help her find something that doesn't look frumpy.  She's here in the States, but I know when we do go dress shopping for her, she'll need to find something inexpensive and still nice.
    Every single response you got was cogent and logical.

• @chocolateygabs "I want to have somewhat of an idea of how a range of colors can look on someone more darker-complected"

I usually do it for body types, but it can work for colors too: think of some sort of "celebrity" - any well known person with similar complexion , and run a search like "The Name red capet dress" .  For example googling "beyonce red carpet " , Solange came up too . And she is wearing a lot of yellow, so you can see different shades.
    http://redcfa.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Solange-Knowles-Loves-Yellow.jpg
    http://www.osochic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/solange-style-cfda-yellow-dress-yellow-romper-osochic.jpg

Also "red carpet yellow dress" brings all kinds of shades on all kinds of complections.
    Unfortunately, that doesn't help with the shopping :)
  • My mom disliked the traditional MOB dresses, but didn't want to end up looking like she was dressed in something too young, either. She ended up buying a strapless bridesmaids dress and having super-wide straps put on it. I'm no help on skin-tone, though; my mom is about as pale as they come!
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards