Gay Weddings

Any Guests Invite Surprises/Regrets?????

Hello all,

As I am preparing to mail STD's, there is family that I know will not attend the wedding because they disagree with my lifestyle. I do realize that I have to be the bigger/better person and send the invite regardless, even though I also feel like I am wasting an STD/Invitation/stamp...... I was just wondering if any of you had guests attend/rsvp that you KNEW would not, and how did they act/respond on that day? Just curious of any surprises or regrets that you all may have!!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Any Guests Invite Surprises/Regrets?????

• zgenous said:

Hello all,

As I am preparing to mail STD's, there is family that I know will not attend the wedding because they disagree with my lifestyle. I do realize that I have to be the bigger/better person and send the invite regardless, even though I also feel like I am wasting an STD/Invitation/stamp...... I was just wondering if any of you had guests attend/rsvp that you KNEW would not, and how did they act/respond on that day? Just curious of any surprises or regrets that you all may have!!!!

I know you didn't ask this but you could skip the STD for some of those people and just send to your VIPS so then that way you aren't wasting money. Sending the invitation would be enough.

I don't have any advice about reactions. Good Luck. Be Happy!
  • I agree with @huynhette, if cost is your concern, then save the save-the-dates for people who you know would likely attend and support your big day. When I sent our save-the-dates, I intentionally sent them to a few people who I didn't know was supportive of same-sex marriage but I had a positive working relationship. Considering that invitations cost more than save-the-dates, I rather send a cheap card to an unsupportive guest.

So far, I haven't had a negative reaction. If anything, I have a lot of people excited for our wedding.

Sunday, May 18, 2014 - Baltimore, Maryland

"Each time you love, love as deeply as if it were forever" - Audre Lorde

• we're having a  pretty DIY wedding, so we just sent our STDs via email. I designed a festive graphic and sent it as a pdf, so it  wasnt just plain text. In it I also asked for people's mailing address, since I didnt have many of them. The responses allowed me to gauge who Id send invitations to, so I was able to waste less postage and fewer invitations.
    (and I never had an unpleasant response --- but then,I didnt knowingly send to any homophobes.)
  • Thanks for all the feedback... It has been helpful. I wish I had thought about emailing STD's. Awesome idea! Cost is not truly a concern, just the whole idea of wasting anything on people that I know won't attend or acknowledge it. Just in my feelings I guess.

Happy planning all!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards