Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Title For a Widow?

I am not sending out my invites anytime soon, but I am making a guest list on The Knot and I like to plan ahead.  So, one of my FI's relatives is a widow and has been for many years.  What is the proper etiquette in this case?  "Mrs. Smith" or "Ms. Smith"?

Re: Title For a Widow?

• Options
    I would do Mrs... Could you get the opinion of FI's parents who might know better?
  • Options
    doeydo said:
    I am not sending out my invites anytime soon, but I am making a guest list on The Knot and I like to plan ahead.  So, one of my FI's relatives is a widow and has been for many years.  What is the proper etiquette in this case?  "Mrs. Smith" or "Ms. Smith"?

It's Mrs. George Smith. Divorced is Mrs. Mary Smith.
  • Options
    As a widow she's Mrs. Husband's Name.
  • Options
    It's Mrs.  And becareful using TK's tools.  They are notoriously glithcy and you may end up losing your entire guestlist.  I would ditch TK's guest list tool now and just use excel.  It could save you a lot of trouble later on.
  • Options
    Technically a widow is Mrs.  John Smith.

But I recommend asking.   My aunt was widowed at 45 and became Ms.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks everyone.
  • Options
    Divorced would be Mrs. still?? Isn't that who point of divorce that you aren't a Mrs. any longer? I'm confused.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    ashleyepashleyep member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2013
    Divorced would be Mrs. still?? Isn't that who point of divorce that you aren't a Mrs. any longer? I'm confused.
    Yes, divorce is still Mrs. unless they choose to go by Ms. It's the reason why you're not supposed to address a married woman as Mrs. Jane Smith - that denotes a divorced woman. Mrs. John Smith is a married woman, or widow.
    Anniversary
  • Options
  • Options
    Mrs. John Smith is the etiquette but the best would be asking since sometimes they have particular preferences for that.
  • Options
    ashleyep said:
    Yes, divorce is still Mrs. unless they choose to go by Ms. It's the reason why you're not supposed to address a married woman as Mrs. Jane Smith - that denotes a divorced woman. Mrs. John Smith is a married woman, or widow.
    Or she could be a married woman and kept her own last name. That would be Mrs. Jane Madienname. 
    I would have been ticked if anyone ever sent me an invite under my first husband's name - but I legally changed my name back and everyone knew it, so I didn't have to worry about it.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options

ashleyep said:

Or she could be a married woman and kept her own last name. That would be Mrs. Jane Madienname. 
    I would have been ticked if anyone ever sent me an invite under my first husband's name - but I legally changed my name back and everyone knew it, so I didn't have to worry about it.

A married woman keeping her maiden name generally uses Ms.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards