Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

If anything could go wrong...

jcrmcjcrmc member
Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
If anything could have gone wrong at my wedding this past Sunday, it did.

In no particular order (except I kept the worst for last):
  • Forgot hubby's suit at home (thankfully friend went and got it)
  • Due to above, hubby had to wash up in venue bathroom because of no time to shower at my moms house (venue was close to her home)
  • JP almost left because we were so late getting started
  • Photographer (who was hubs dad) had to leave mid-reception because his knee was giving out and was in extreme pain
  • My moms pro camera crapped out so she didn't get ANY photos
  • Babysitter was a no-show
  • Musician was a no-show (thankfully I had my laptop with music to plug into the PA system)
  • People came into venue through the ribbon backdrop I had intended as a block from the back of the house because that was where the reception was set up, and the guest book was at the front, because FI and buddies couldnt put up the directional signs because hammer/nails were in BILs van, who was 1/2hr away having brunch with folks
  • 14 guests were a no-show (4 had legit excuses) - when you are looking at 45 adults who rsvp'd yes, this was a big dent
  • the girls I hired (friends of hubbys niece - 15y/o and usually quite responsible) did not have food/drink out on time, did not clear plates nor garbage from tables, opened multiple jars/bags of the same thing even though the first ones weren't used up so we cant even return them (salsa, dressings etc), told me they were done and could they call their parents for a ride and then I found out that my sister/MOH was doing all the kitchen work they hadn't
  • Forgot programs at home** - thankfully I remembered when my hubby was out near our place after.....(see next)
  • ...after having to drive 1/2 hr to Costco to purchase food and...(see next)
  • ...my BIL and now s-FIL ended up cooking everything...
  • ...including having to scale and prepare an 18lb salmon that was a wedding gift from my moms neighbour
  • ...because our chef, who was bringing all the meat to the BBQ didn't show up. Didn't call. Didn't answer his phone. Nothing.

**ETA: ended up not using programs. Hubby forgot to give them to his bro, who never asked about them (even though he was greeting people and supposedly handing them out)

The good things that happened?

• The people I love most were there to celebrate with me
  • The weather was beautiful
  • Our friends and family really stepped up to help us out with the things that went wrong
  • I married the man of my dreams
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: If anything could go wrong...

• jcrmc said:
    If anything could have gone wrong at my wedding this past Sunday, it did.

In no particular order (except I kept the worst for last):
    • Forgot hubby's suit at home (thankfully friend went and got it)
    • Due to above, hubby had to wash up in venue bathroom because of no time to shower at my moms house (venue was close to her home)
    • JP almost left because we were so late getting started
    • Photographer (who was hubs dad) had to leave mid-reception because his knee was giving out and was in extreme pain
    • My moms pro camera crapped out so she didn't get ANY photos
    • Babysitter was a no-show
    • Musician was a no-show (thankfully I had my laptop with music to plug into the PA system)
    • People came into venue through the ribbon backdrop I had intended as a block from the back of the house because that was where the reception was set up, and the guest book was at the front, because FI and buddies couldnt put up the directional signs because hammer/nails were in BILs van, who was 1/2hr away having brunch with folks
    • 14 guests were a no-show (4 had legit excuses) - when you are looking at 45 adults who rsvp'd yes, this was a big dent
    • the girls I hired (friends of hubbys niece - 15y/o and usually quite responsible) did not have food/drink out on time, did not clear plates nor garbage from tables, opened multiple jars/bags of the same thing even though the first ones weren't used up so we cant even return them (salsa, dressings etc), told me they were done and could they call their parents for a ride and then I found out that my sister/MOH was doing all the kitchen work they hadn't
    • Forgot programs at home** - thankfully I remembered when my hubby was out near our place after.....(see next)
    • ...after having to drive 1/2 hr to Costco to purchase food and...(see next)
    • ...my BIL and now s-FIL ended up cooking everything...
    • ...including having to scale and prepare an 18lb salmon that was a wedding gift from my moms neighbour
    • ...because our chef, who was bringing all the meat to the BBQ didn't show up. Didn't call. Didn't answer his phone. Nothing.

**ETA: ended up not using programs. Hubby forgot to give them to his bro, who never asked about them (even though he was greeting people and supposedly handing them out)

The good things that happened?

• The people I love most were there to celebrate with me
    • The weather was beautiful
    • Our friends and family really stepped up to help us out with the things that went wrong
    • I married the man of my dreams
    WOW Congrats you are married. That's a crap ton of stuff. Did you pay all those no show people? I'd get my money back.
  • <3 You did it and have a great story to tell!  This sounds like a movie script, if you ask me.
    CONGRATULATIONS!  You got married!!!
    I can relate just a little bit.  On the morning of ours in the weeeee hours after being kept up all night by relatives, I realized I had my fiance's car keys (oops), and had to sneak home to leave them without being seen,
    My friends that said they would help ended up not being able to for one reason or another,
    The music system did not work for a bit,
    it goes on and on...
    BUT, just like you,
    I was surrounded by people I love,
    the weather was beautiful,
    I found new friendship in those that stepped up,
    and I married my best friend and love.
    A wedding without many laughable anecdotes is not worth having, if you ask me!
  • Holy moly!!  If you paid all those people, you need your money back asap!  I'm so sorry!

I'm glad you can see the bright side- the brightest of which is that you are married!

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Oh my goodness!  You'll certainly always have a story to tell.

Did you have contracts and deposits paid on all of these vendors that didn't show up?

Congrats on your marriage.  Glad you kept things in perspective through all the crazy :)

Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • scribe95 said:
    For that many vendors to flake is a bit odd. I hope you didn't pay them. Did you have contracts? Very weird.

This.

And hiring 15 year olds to serve the food didn't possibly raise a red flag that they wouldn't be so reliable?

But, hey, you're married.

• The people who flaked out were (formerly) close and trusted friends.

Musician was a guy I have known for years and used to work with, and whose g/f is another good friend.

Babysitter was a co-worker, who lives less than 10min drive from venue. She would have been paid at the end of the evening.

The 15 y/o have always been, in the past, extremely reliable and mature. They each had an explicit list of what was to be done and when (ie during ceremony they were to be putting out appys, when DH and I arrived to mingle after photos, they were to start clearing appys and bring out buffet items, etc)

Chef was one of DHs groomsmen - a long time and close friend of DH. Has never ever before flaked out on anything. We do NOT wish harm on anyone, but the only excuse that we would find legit would be if he was in hospital with no way to call/text us or get online to Face Book.

After all was said and done, we are married, we are enjoying our honeymoon in Whistler, BC, (DH is sleeping in right now), and our lives as a family unit (fur baby Ollie stayed home with his auntie Paige lol) are starting with a most hilarious (in hind sight) story to tell!!

As has been said by someone smart:

The rockier the wedding, the smoother the marriage!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • He was one of the groomsmen? Man i would be super worried that he was hurt.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • jcrmc said:
    The people who flaked out were (formerly) close and trusted friends.

Musician was a guy I have known for years and used to work with, and whose g/f is another good friend.

Babysitter was a co-worker, who lives less than 10min drive from venue. She would have been paid at the end of the evening.

The 15 y/o have always been, in the past, extremely reliable and mature. They each had an explicit list of what was to be done and when (ie during ceremony they were to be putting out appys, when DH and I arrived to mingle after photos, they were to start clearing appys and bring out buffet items, etc)

Chef was one of DHs groomsmen - a long time and close friend of DH. Has never ever before flaked out on anything. We do NOT wish harm on anyone, but the only excuse that we would find legit would be if he was in hospital with no way to call/text us or get online to Face Book.

After all was said and done, we are married, we are enjoying our honeymoon in Whistler, BC, (DH is sleeping in right now), and our lives as a family unit (fur baby Ollie stayed home with his auntie Paige lol) are starting with a most hilarious (in hind sight) story to tell!!

As has been said by someone smart:

The rockier the wedding, the smoother the marriage!!
    I agree with the smart comment, but the bolded is why you (generic) should hire professionals with contracts and not ask friends to help out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards