Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Gift for Engagement Party?

My cousin is having an engagement party in about 2 weeks, 1 year before her wedding.  I was a little put off to find gift registry cards in the invite.  I have never heard of anyone actually implying to give gifts at an Engagement Party.  Anyone know the etiquette on this sort of thing? :S    

Re: Gift for Engagement Party?

• Options

stokesm21 said:
    My cousin is having an engagement party in about 2 weeks, 1 year before her wedding.  I was a little put off to find gift registry cards in the invite.  I have never heard of anyone actually implying to give gifts at an Engagement Party.  Anyone know the etiquette on this sort of thing? :S    

Registry cards are never okay.

But personally, I'd never go to an engagement party without at the very least a small gift. Do you know if the couple likes wine, or if they would love a bottle of Grey Goose? Personally, I'd bring booze and a card almost every time. Maybe a $25 gift card or a small registry gift if the couple doesn't drink.

• Options
    I've only attended one engagement party and I didn't bring a gift. I don't consider them to be gift-giving occasions.
  • Options
    I don't bring a gift for the engaged couple, but I bring a bottle of wine or a little something for the host/hostess.
  • Options
    stokesm21 said:
    Registry cards are no bueno. No gift. Unless you want to bring a bottle of wine.
  • Options
    I wouldn't get anything off the registry to prove a point. I've given a bottle of champagne and a cutting board with cheeses - it went over well.

Also, I think it's nice to bring a bottle of wine for whoever is hosting. But that might just be me. I never go to a party without bringing something for the hosts.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    emmyg65 said:
    I've only attended one engagement party and I didn't bring a gift. I don't consider them to be gift-giving occasions.

I think of it along the same lines of visiting a mom and her new baby in the hospital. No, that's not a "gift giving occasion" but almost everyone brings a little present to say congrats.

Same with an engagement party. I like to bring a little token to show my congratulations.

• Options
    The registry card is a bit odd, but I can understand why they did it. If someone else is hosting the party they might have done it thinking it's ok since that's how showers are done.

For engagement parties, it's a bit funny. It's not a gift giving occasion as some PPs have mentioned but you still give something small. You could give something small from their registry or a gift card to their registered place (I'd typically give $25 to $50 depending on the type).
  • Options
    Ignore the etiquette faux pas and bring a bottle of wine or a nice plant.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards