Second Weddings

Choosing the bridal party

Hello everyone...first time on the board.  I could use input on choosing who will be my MOH and BMs.  My daughter is 18....would it be strange to have her as my MOH?  Second questions: My sister-in-law (who is 55) was my MOH at my first wedding....would it be strange to have her as a BM in the wedding given her age?  Of course I will be 46 when we have the wedding, so....             We are very close and she is already jumping in with both feet to plan with me.  I would actually rather have my niece (she is 25) be a BM....maybe she would be happy with that and not feel "left out" since her daughter is in it instead?

Re: Choosing the bridal party

• I think having your daughter as your MOH sounds sweet.

Pick who you want based on who you are closest to now regardless of their age.  I've seen dads as Best Men in multiple weddings and aunts & uncles as WP members before.  

Do not feel pressured to invite your SIL to be your BM just because she was in your first wedding or because she is offering to help you plan.  Neither of those things require that you automatically include her in the wedding party.  If you don't want her to be a BM but still wish to include her above & beyond being a guest then perhaps you can ask her to do a reading.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • If you want your DD to be your MOH do it, if you want your SIL to be an attendant there is nothing wrong with that either.  

There is no rule that says your attendants need to be under 30 or 50 or 60. Our attendants ranged in age from DH's daughter who was 17 to his uncles who were in their 70's at the time of our wedding. Neither of us sweated their ages or any of that.  We were just happy that they agreed and showed up! 

• When we married in August 2011 my daughter was 16 and she was my MOH. I wouldn't have had it any other way. She wasn't even legal, so obviously someone else signed as witness, but it made the day so much more special (if that's possible) knowing my daughter was right next to me. My son who was 23 at the time was in my husband's wedding party as a groomsman.

My other attendants were my best friends from the past 40 years, and my stepdaughter who was 18 at the time. I was 56 when we married. It was a very elegant and happy event for all of us.

You can also have as many as you want. Our final reception count was 73, including us and the wedding party. We each had 4 attendants.

Welcome to the board, looking forward to your plans.

• edited August 2013

Your friend will probably be happy to be a simple guest.  But are you closer to her daughter than you are to her?  I would find it odd that my friend asked my kid instead of me.  ~Donna

ETA: Do not ask your bridal party until about 6 months before the wedding, BTW.

• Your friend will probably be happy to be a simple guest.  But are you closer to her daughter than you are to her?  I would find it odd that my friend asked my kid instead of me.  ~Donna

SIL, not friend - daughter is OP niece :-) 
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Ahhh, now I get it. 
  • Thanks for your input ladies!  I think I will have both my sister-in-law and my niece as attendants now....and my daughter as the MOH!  The more the merrier...and age doesn't matter!

Ummmm....I'm such a rookie...what is OP?  I checked the lingo list and it wasn't on there.

• OP typically stands for "original post" or "original poster"
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards