Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

To save or not to save....

I have two DJs that I'm considering.  One I've seen before at two different weddings and, therefore, know what I'm getting from him.  The other I have no clue.  The first is the more expensive, mostly due to travel and having to add an hour on to his package.  The second is offering a discount if booked by May.  As much as I'm trying to save money, I don't know what to expect from the second one.  I'm afraid that if I go with saving money I'm going to get something I'm not happy with.

Any suggestions?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: To save or not to save....

• edited December 2011
    What are the names of the DJs?  I went with a DJ I've never seen before based on recommendations.  Check the second DJ's reviews - and I'm betting someone on here either used or knows someone who has used the second DJ you're considering.  Did you meet with the second DJ?  I understand the need to save money, and less expensive may not necessarily mean less good.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would suggest to see if the second DJ will give you references to contact as well as possibly letting you see them DJ at possibly another event. I would love to know what DJs you're considering.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lmk623lmk623 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I 'm considering Robert Pfeifer of Pifemaster Production, he's the one I've seen twice.

I'm also considering Appropriate Moods, they are actually on the vender referral list for my reception venue.  They are offering $50 off all of their packages, plus if you went to the bridal show this past weekend, they were giving away coupons for an additional $50 off.  So, I  could save $100 if I booked them by May 31st.

Strwbry, I know that less expensive doesn't mean less good.  It's like my brain just wants to go with Robert since I'm more familiar with him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    http://www.weddingwire.com/reviews/appropriate-moods-pittsburgh/e1d7fffb0b504e0d.html

Based on no personal recommendations and reading 2 reviews online, 1 of which is pretty negative, I wouldn't choose them.  

Pifemaster has great reviews on weddingwire, and you've seen them in person.  I would personally feel a lot more comfortable with that, and feel it's worth the money.

Check out the knottie recommended list as well, and cross that with weddingwire - you  might be able to find a more affordable DJ that you would also feel comfortable with.
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely agree with MD. Go with who you know and who has positive reviews. Even one negative review makes me a little nervous.
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • lmk623lmk623 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'vre really been leaning towards Pifemaster, not only because I've seen him before but he also takes pics during the reception, to put on his website.  I read one of the reviews that said he gives a copy of those pics to the couple.  I might be able to work something out with whatever photographer I get that I wouldn't need them for the whole reception and just take Pifemaster's pics from the reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have Pifemaster booked for my wedding in April.  I went to a wedding last year and he did a great job.  He is also very helpful and nice to work with. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards