Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Keeping curls

So I reallllly want to wear my hair down for the ceremony, just some relaxed curls to it, then I'll pin it up in a side bun for the reception. I've never given too much thought to how I do my hair in years past and so I've never figured out how to get it to stay curled. It's pretty long and naturally stick strait and anytime I curl it, it wilts and loses it's shape within an hour or so, depending on what I'm doing, weather, etc. Any hair gurus out there have any tips on how to make it keep some decent looking curls for at least 2-3 hours (time enough for ceremony & pictures). I know I can go to a salon and they can probably work it out, but if I can figure it out on my own, that's a few more dollars I save plus travel time on the day of. Thanks!

Re: Keeping curls

• Tease tease tease and hairspray it like crazy!!! My hair does the same thing. If you put some gel in it while damp then tease it before curling it should last.

Do some tests before the big day to make sure you get it the way you want it.
  • First of all, work with day-old "dirty" hair. When you do wash it the day before, don't use conditioner. Once it dries (I find it best to let it air dry), lightly spray it with a flexible hairspray, then brush it out. Then, use a small, 1-inch barrel curling iron on the bottom half of your hair and a wider one for the top. Spray as you go & you should be golden! 
  • I have the same problem with my hair. Recently I bought a new curling iron (package said heats up to around 400 degrees) only cost me about $15. I washed my hair as normal the night before then curled it the next morning. Used hairspray and the curl lasted for about 9 hours!

I guess I've always used curling irons that didn't get hot enough. I love this one!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 107 Invited so far!
    image 63 Are comming!
    image 9 Will be missing out!
    image 36 Can't find the mailbox!
  • I agree with @clpapke83

I have the same problem with my hair until I found a curling wand that heats up to 400 degrees and it will now last for two days without hairspray.  The heat really does make a difference as well as the other suggestions above :)
  • A product called Kenra Hot Spray.. Spray each strand with one spray then curl it then spray with hair spray do not brush out until 10 min before you walk down the isle. Unless u want tight curls leave it. But regardless after the ceremony spray again but not to much. The waves will stay for 3 days.
  • I'm a hairstylist in Burleson this is what I do for proms and weddings. Hot spray is my everything tool.
  • Don't wash your hair

• Hey! I am Queen of Crowns by Nicole Cano here on theknot.com and you can use the Kenra Hot Spray (just be careful because it is a spritz and if you make your hair too wet with it it can melt your hair--anything wet will cause it to) Or you can use the Kenra 25 hair spray. That along with a good curling iron (Babyliss Titanium) depending on your length of hair and how thick you can use a 1" or 1 1/2" barrel. If your hair does not stay curled well then use the 1". It will make the curls tighter at first but by the time you are ready to walk the isle it will fall enough to give you those waves  you are looking for. I also agree that you need to have at least 1 day old hair, but if you need to wash it the day of then use a volume mousse and a root lifter to dirty up your hair and give it some grab. Spray 1 inch sections starting at the bottom and working your way up your crown curling the hair away from your face. One last hint, go to google or pinterst and search how to curl hair and it should show you how to start mid-strand to make sure the hair gets curled all the way thru. And if you really want to make sure the curls last set them with silver hair clips securing them to your scalp--they will look like barrel curls. Hope this isn't too confusing!
  • Queen - Vendors are not allowed.  @KnotPorscha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards