Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Need Menu Ideas!

We are having a family friend as our caterer but we have no idea what we want on our menu! It is a Rustic Spring wedding next May. We will be having a salad bar during cocktail hour as well as cheese, crackers, and some fruit.

We need idea for the main dinner. The wedding is indoor/outdoor in a park pavilion type setting, but it is not picnic style. We still want it to be classy and not like a backyard BBQ!

Help please!

Re: Need Menu Ideas!

• Is the family friend a professional caterer or are they doing this as a favor? If they're a caterer, they probably have a menu that you can choose from. If they're not, it's probably best to choose food that's easy to make in large quantities and hold at heat for a bit, like beef stew or chicken cacciatore.
  • She is not a caterer so she said it is up to us! Thanks for the ideas!
  • We are having a family friend as our caterer but we have no idea what we want on our menu! It is a Rustic Spring wedding next May. We will be having a salad bar during cocktail hour as well as cheese, crackers, and some fruit.

We need idea for the main dinner. The wedding is indoor/outdoor in a park pavilion type setting, but it is not picnic style. We still want it to be classy and not like a backyard BBQ!

Help please!
    I prefer easy to eat non messy foods. But that's just me. Honestly, if you get the opportunity to build your own menu, I would say pick your favorite foods and who cares if it doesn't go together.
  • Here's a couple links from The Kitchn about catering a wedding:

Both articles have some good advice on what food to choose and include links with more info.
  • If she is not a caterer, is she at least used to cooking for a large group of people?  Does she have enough kitchen space and equipment to keep everything at a safe temperature?  Who will be putting out the food come wedding day?  Just her or are you hiring a staff to help serve the food?  Who will be doing the clean up after the wedding is over?

There are a lot of things to think about and if this friend is not used to cooking in large quantities things could get quite stressful for her.

• If she is not a caterer, is she at least used to cooking for a large group of people?  Does she have enough kitchen space and equipment to keep everything at a safe temperature?  Who will be putting out the food come wedding day?  Just her or are you hiring a staff to help serve the food?  Who will be doing the clean up after the wedding is over?

There are a lot of things to think about and if this friend is not used to cooking in large quantities things could get quite stressful for her.
    To add on to this. Will your venue allow an non-licensed caterer?

All of this.  Honestly, I wouldn't chance something as big as a wedding to someone that does not have experience.  So much can go wrong. 
  • She did her parents anniversary party, which was close to 100 people.  And she also made all of the food for her son's wedding and that was 250 people. It was very good food!! We will be renting all of the necessary tools to keep the food warm like holding ovens, and chafing dishes. And the venue is just a park shelter house and they have no rules about who can prepare or serve food. She will have her sister's help and their adult children will be helping with set up and tear down of everything. 

Just a little history on the whole situation...
    The woman doing the food is actually one of my mom's childhood friends. My mom grew up and went to school with her and her sister. Both women are always invited to all of our family events and parties. A few months ago she borrowed all of the china and linens from my mom for her son's wedding. (My older sister got married last year so my mom made the investment in china and linens for 300 because I also have two younger sisters. She wanted to have all of this for future wedding, baby showers etc.) So she offered to do the food for my wedding in return for borrowing the china and linens. Her sons and their wives have also offered to help set up, serve and clean up. My fiance and I are not close with her children so they were not going to be guests in the first place and they will be paid for their help.

Thanks for the input everyone!!
  • I realize this might seem a little backyard bbq-ish, but just write it off if you don't like it. 

You can get mini brats, burgers, chicken for sandwiches, etc. that aren't messy and are super easy. Have lettuce, tomato, etc. on the side. For side dishes, I would serve raw veggies (also not messy), fruit salad, potato salad, etc. 

Another option is a fajita bar where you could have tortillas, chicken, steak, portobella mushrooms, peppers/onions, and toppings. Your sides could be mexican rice and beans. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I would check out some local catering menus for ideas. Lots of caterers have sample menus on their websites, so you can check them out and see what you like and don't like. 
  • I realize this might seem a little backyard bbq-ish, but just write it off if you don't like it. 

You can get mini brats, burgers, chicken for sandwiches, etc. that aren't messy and are super easy. Have lettuce, tomato, etc. on the side. For side dishes, I would serve raw veggies (also not messy), fruit salad, potato salad, etc. 

Another option is a fajita bar where you could have tortillas, chicken, steak, portobella mushrooms, peppers/onions, and toppings. Your sides could be mexican rice and beans. 
    I agree that these items are easy and non messy.  However, when working with large groups, offering many different items becomes a logistical nightmare.  Now you have to worry about how many of each type of meat.  You have to purchase different types of buns for each meat product. Offering guests options is great for them, but not budget friendly.

Coming up with a theme, such as your Mexican idea, would work better.  I would again, limit the options.  I would also try as much as possible to have ready to go items versus having guests "build" their meals.  Making decisions such as steak or chicken, or which toppings to add, slows down the line considerably.  To offer burritos, with sides of rice and beans would be easier to plan and serve.

An easy and typical catered buffet in our area might serve roasted chicken pieces, Italian beef sandwiches, a pasta dish, a green salad, and a fruit salad.  There is some variety, but the portions are more easily controlled and predictable.
  • I'm with @mobkaz

Chicken. Beef. Pasta/Potatoes/Rice (pick one, or pick two). Steamed veggie. Green Salad. Fruit Salad.

Skip the salad bar during cocktail hour.

If you have vegetarians, I'm sure she could do a veggie quiche, stuffed peppers or something equally as tasty.

• I think it would be fun to pick a theme and build your menu around that like some PP have suggested... Mexican, Asian, Italian or maybe even seafood/clambake style. Pick like 4 different dishes with some sides and call it a day
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards