Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Walking down the aisle alone?

My father passed away a couple years ago, and I am still grieving it. I can't imagine walking down the aisle with anybody else than him.

Is it ok to walk down the aisle alone? My mother thinks its "depressing and sad to see". Do I have to be given away?

Re: Walking down the aisle alone?

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    First, my condolences at the passing of your father. I cannot imagine how upset you must be, added onto any wedding stress. 

You can absolutely walk down the aisle by yourself. There is no "rule" on how it must be done. If you *did* want to walk down with someone, it could be your mother, brother, uncle, grandfather, dog, even your husband. But whatever you decide- do what would please you. 
  • Options
    Oh, I'm so sorry!  I agree, you can definitely walk alone if you'd like, and carry a reminder of him with you either on your bouquet as jewelry.

But I do advise, having been married twice, that you might need someone to hold on to.  You can barely breathe, let alone walk, without a little help. 

Best of  luck with whatever you decide....
  • Options
    O honey I'm so sorry for your lost. I think you should do what's most comfortable for you if they means walking down the isle by yourself then that's fine. You could have your future husband walk down with you, sort of 'starting this journey together' meaning. Maybe you could ask your mom. 

My dad wasn't in my life so I'm thinking of having my mom walk me down. 
  • Options
    You can absolutely walk down alone.  You can also choose to walk down with your mother.  Or anyone else for that matter.  Whatever you feel comfortable with.  Agree with PP though....you may want to carry a token of your fathers....perhaps something you can wrap around your bouquet.  I'm sure he'll be watching over you as you walk down the aisle.
  • Options
    You can absolutely walk down the aisle by yourself. That's what I did (my father declined attending our wedding). I had plenty of other people offer, from my mom to one of my uncles, but I wanted to go it solo. Worked out great for me - I didn't have the nerves that PP mentioned.

You can always have a back-up plan as well. For example, I knew I wanted to walk down myself, but told my mom that if I got too nervous I would have our DOC go grab her and bring her back to walk me down.
  • Options
    kateu said:
    Oh, I'm so sorry!  I agree, you can definitely walk alone if you'd like, and carry a reminder of him with you either on your bouquet as jewelry.

But I do advise, having been married twice, that you might need someone to hold on to.  You can barely breathe, let alone walk, without a little help. 

Best of  luck with whatever you decide....
    Ditto. And I'm so sorry about your father.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards