Wedding Party

Need gift ideas for Bridesmaids

I am having the hardest time to trying to figure out what to get my bridesmaids.  I want them to be able to have the gift for the wedding, but also to have/use/ or wear after the wedding as well.  I don't know if I'm just being indecisive or just don't know where to start.... any ideas?

Re: Need gift ideas for Bridesmaids

• I think if you want them to have/use/wear the gifts after the wedding, generally speaking they should be as non-wedding related as possible. A good piece of advice that floats around these boards is to shop like it's their birthday or Christmas. So you get your wine-loving friend a few good bottles of wine, your book-loving friend the next book in a series and a gift card to Barnes & Noble, your sports-loving friend apparel in her favorite team's colors or tickets to a games, etc.
  • thats a great idea!! it didn't even cross my mind to think about it like that!  Thanks

• I like the idea of robes-that also doubles as a photo op. There are a lot of etsy stores that sell beautiful handmade kimono robes in sets matching the number of girls in your bridal party. I would advise against something that says "bridesmaid" on it and just go with a solid color or pretty floral print-something they can use again.

That way they have something to wear to get ready in without getting stuff on their bridesmaids dresses and something that they'll use again-who doesn't like a robe?

• kefryar said:

I like the idea of robes-that also doubles as a photo op. There are a lot of etsy stores that sell beautiful handmade kimono robes in sets matching the number of girls in your bridal party. I would advise against something that says "bridesmaid" on it and just go with a solid color or pretty floral print-something they can use again.

That way they have something to wear to get ready in without getting stuff on their bridesmaids dresses and something that they'll use again-who doesn't like a robe?

Many women likes robes. No women like robes that say "Bridesmaid" on it.

Anniversary

• kefryar said:

I like the idea of robes-that also doubles as a photo op. There are a lot of etsy stores that sell beautiful handmade kimono robes in sets matching the number of girls in your bridal party. I would advise against something that says "bridesmaid" on it and just go with a solid color or pretty floral print-something they can use again.

This.  Plus, many women would not want to be photographed in a robe.

Go with the holiday/birthday mantra, and don't try to get everyone the same gift.  You know your friends and know what they'd like.  
  • kefryar said:

Can't escape the box, so I'm typing in a different color. She already said that having "Bridesmaid" embroidered on it was a bad idea, but I agree that very few women would want the robe to begin with. It's just an odd gift, especially if the main purpose is a photo op. I certainly have no desire to be photographed in nothing but a robe, and would be irritated if my friend tried to guilt me into it.
  • Blue_Bird said:
    kefryar said:

Can't escape the box, so I'm typing in a different color. She already said that having "Bridesmaid" embroidered on it was a bad idea, but I agree that very few women would want the robe to begin with. It's just an odd gift, especially if the main purpose is a photo op. I certainly have no desire to be photographed in nothing but a robe, and would be irritated if my friend tried to guilt me into it.
    Thanks for reading, haha.

• I'm buying my bridesmaids monogrammed zip up hoodies, so that could be something for you to consider as well. They can wear them with jeans the day of for all of our getting ready photos (it's a winter wedding, so robes would be too cold), but then they can also wear them later on. I know my friends will love them because they're obsessed with ANYTHING that's monogrammed.
  • kefryar said:
    Blue_Bird said:
    kefryar said:

I think that you know your friends best. I know myself and my friends would be totally comfortable being photographed in robes.... heck all summer we we in less then that!!!

Anniversary
  • kefryar said:
    Blue_Bird said:
    kefryar said:

I think that you know your friends best. I know myself and my friends would be totally comfortable being photographed in robes.... heck all summer we we in less then that!!!

bubblegum1309

considering we've all seen each other naked, I doubt they would mind. I just think it would be nice to have something pretty to get ready in the day of. of course I would never bedazzle bridesmaid on them, but I have found some of the most beautiful floral print kimonos-I know they will love them.

Plus I don't have a single uptight bridesmaid, so I doubt they will be bothered, not like I'm forcing a photo op haha.

• kefryar said:
    kefryar said:
    Blue_Bird said:
    kefryar said:

bubblegum1309

considering we've all seen each other naked, I doubt they would mind. I just think it would be nice to have something pretty to get ready in the day of. of course I would never bedazzle bridesmaid on them, but I have found some of the most beautiful floral print kimonos-I know they will love them.

Plus I don't have a single uptight bridesmaid, so I doubt they will be bothered, not like I'm forcing a photo op haha.

It is one thing to have seen your friends naked. It is an entirely different when a camera is present.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:
    kefryar said:
    kefryar said:
    Blue_Bird said:
    kefryar said:

bubblegum1309

It is one thing to have seen your friends naked. It is an entirely different when a camera is present.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they won't care. It's my idea, not like anyone else has to do this if they don't want to.

• kefryar said:
    kefryar said:
    Blue_Bird said:
    kefryar said:

bubblegum1309

Right, because anyone who doesn't want their picture taken when they aren't dressed must be uptight.  
  • Blue_Bird said:
    kefryar said:

Whoops. Reading comprehension fail.

Satin hands/satin lips from mary kay
    Can anyone clue me in on the TOS. If I call a vendor/spammer/liar a snatch, am I breaking TOS? Like, if I say, "How are you so fucking stupid and terrible at your job?" Will I get a warning?

Anniversary

• Satin hands/satin lips from mary kay
    Man, I got duped. I instantly "liked" this because I thought it was hilarious, as I assumed it was written by anyone BUT mrsmanella. Then I un-liked but she kept the point.

Side-note: I really dislike the latest trend of buying "getting ready" outfits for bridesmaids even if it isn't their official gift. I really prefer to dress myself, and as a BM I've already bought and committed to wearing 1 outfit of your choosing. The morning of my own wedding, I wore running shorts, flip-flops, and a tank-top from the rafting company where I used to work. I would have been miserable in a matching robe. As a BM in several weddings, I've likewise enjoyed getting ready in my pajamas, running clothes, or whatever else I feel like wearing. You are not going to put the getting-ready photos on your wall, so give your WP some slack and buy them a gift that suits their taste. And don't dictate another uniform for them for your wedding. </rant>

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • Robes can be nice but are a "Typical" bridesmaids gift.
    Each of mine are getting a piece of jewelry from Tiffany & Co. and a Tory Burch make up bag that I have added trinkets to and made it a "bridesmaid survival kit". Each are getting a tote with there names on it and a nice Voluspa Candle. My MOH is getting a few extra things.
    The groomsmen are getting a Tiffany & co money clip and cufflinks. I didn't want the typical engraved gifts you find in the mall such as flasks or beer steins.
  • There is an idea that is floating around Pinterest to get bridesmaids nice clutch purses, and have a little tag with a message from you stitched into the inside of the purse.  I think it's super cute and something that most likely will be used again!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I bought my ladies a canvas tote bag monogrammed and filled it with misc items and a personalized Tervis tumbler. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013

Anything that they have to wear on your wedding day aren't gifts, they're part of the uniform. 

Personally, the amount the bride spends on each bridesmaid's gift should exceed what the bridesmaid spent on the wedding (dress, bridal shower, hair, makeup).  That's what I kept in mind for my two sisters (co-MOH's) and good friend (BM) when I got married...they were all so close and important to me, I wanted to them love their gifts.  They each got a Pashmina shawl in their favorite color, and then $300 in gift cards to their favorite stores and restaurants (varied for each of them of course).  I shopped for them as though it was their birthdays or Christmas, as opposed to a gift that was wedding-related. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards