Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Re: *

• Options

artroyoc said:
    We have been together for a VERY long time and recently moved. We purchased a lot of new furniture and home items for the move and coupled with all we have amassed throughout the years we really don't have much of a need for the majority of registry items. We understand that registering is good etiquette so we've created four (two department stores, one online store, and a high end home decor store) but so far only have 35-40 items total. We only listed what we actually wanted or needed and it is worth noting we live in a small apartment in Manhattan and do not have space for unnecessary items. We will have 100 guests at our wedding and I will be having two separate showers all in the next three months (with an estimate guest list of 10-20 each). I don't want to frustrate our guests with a limited registry but I also don't want a ton of items I'll never use taking up valuable space in our small apartment. Any suggestions?
    Registering isn't good or bad etiquette; it's etiquette neutral.  A small registry is fine.  You don't need to register for as many items as you have wedding guests. 

• Options
    I think what you have is fine, especially if you have small showers.  One thing you might look at, though, is if you can or want to upgrade anything you already have.  New sheets with higher thread counts?  Nice new towels? (You always need extra sheets and towels when you have guests.)  A better toaster, blender, or higher quality cookware?  Dishes and silverware patterns you select together?  Crystal wineglasses instead of regular glass?  Nice vases instead of the ones from the flower shop?  If you like entertaining, is there anything that would make that easier for you (serving pieces, chafing dish, etc). You could donate your old items to a women's shelter or other charity so someone else will benefit from your upgrades.
  • Options
    If you are having two showers you need to register for more items to give your guests some variety.  Right now you would only have enough for 1 item per guest.  Not knowing the price points you registered at you could be too expensive for some or someone may buy 5 gifts and leave the last minute shoppers without a registry item to purchase.

I second @rebeccab88 in that you can try to upgrade some pieces that you already have.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    Blue_BirdBlue_Bird member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2013
    AprilH81 said:
    If you are having two showers you need to register for more items to give your guests some variety.  Right now you would only have enough for 1 item per guest.  Not knowing the price points you registered at you could be too expensive for some or someone may buy 5 gifts and leave the last minute shoppers without a registry item to purchase.

I second @rebeccab88 in that you can try to upgrade some pieces that you already have.
    That's more than enough. Not everyone is going to buy something from the registry. There's no need to register for something just for the purpose of registering. The list is just a helpful guide. I'm certainly glad that I have creative friends and family who didn't limit themselves to just what we registered for. It's nice to have surprises!
  • Options

If you can think of more things to add I think that will help since you are having 2 showers and because your items are spread out over 4 registries.  You might not get much bought off of the registry for the online store since it won't work well for last minute shoppers. 

We upgraded the coffee maker, towels, sheets and vacuum and asked for a nice garbage can, hoover floormate and espresso machine.

We also found space saving/organization items that were helpful for our small house: over the door hooks, drawer dividers, shoe storage, towel tower, storage bench, etc.

Good luck!

• Options
    Blue_Bird said:
    AprilH81 said:

That's more than enough. Not everyone is going to buy something from the registry. There's no need to register for something just for the purpose of registering. The list is just a helpful guide. I'm certainly glad that I have creative friends and family who didn't limit themselves to just what we registered for. It's nice to have surprises!
    It isn't necessary, but it is a convenience to the guests.  If there were 20 guests to a wedding and the couple only registered for 20 items what are my options if I am the 20th person to shop off of the registry?  If that happens I can buy that one gift but it may be more than I wanted to spend and then I would need to either go off registry or give money (which I don't care to do).  It would just be helpful to provide a few more options for the guests convenience. 
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards