Chit Chat

10 year reunions?

so, my 10 year reunion is coming up and my younger sister has been pestering me to attend. there are a number of reasons why i don't want to attend, which i'll list here in no particular order.

i now live about a 5 hour drive away from the city, which would mean i'd have to shell out fuel costs or pay for a bus ticket to get there, which is expensive. if i go by bus, i have to go for a week (Sat-Sat) because the nearest bus stop is over an hour away from here and my partner can't get me there or pick me up again during the week. and then i have to worry about hostess gifts for the people i stay with during that time, meals, transport within the city, and, of course, the ticket to the reunion.

apart from the financial issues, i just really didn't enjoy my time at the school, and only really had anything approaching friendship with about 3 girls, none of whom will be at the reunion as they all live overseas now. the rest of the girls were really shades of the Plastics from Mean Girls. i already have extremely low self-esteem and i don't think that would be helped in any way by spending time with people who i know will tell me how great it is to see me to my face, and then turn around and say how fat i've gotten (which is true, i have put on weight since high school, and i am working on losing it) and how i haven't achieved anything (which is not true, but these are the kinds of people who measure achievement in university degrees, cars, and rings). maybe i'm being ungenerous... is that even a word?

and then there is the fact that my partner is not invited, which cheeses me off somewhat. it's a "girls only" thing. which i just think is silly. what, are we 6?

anyway, i'm just wondering if any of you have had your 10 year reunions? did you go? what was it like? if you were in my shoes, would you go? will i regret not going?
imageDaisypath Friendship tickers

Re: 10 year reunions?

• BF's 10 year reunion is next month, and we're going because he wants to. I don't understand it. My HS years weren't something to look back on and smile. I'm only in touch with 2 of my former classmates, and only one of them was even in my year. I won't be going to my HS reunion, and truth be told, they'll have a hell of a time even tracking me down. I wouldn't go if I were you, but I'm a little jaded on the subject. Given the reasons you listed, I doubt very much that you'll regret not going.
  • I went to mine.  No one had really changed much, since we weren't far out from HS.  Most people mingled, and I did talk to some people that I hadn't talked to in HS, and that was pretty nice.  But the "popular" crowd grabbed a table right beside the bar and refused to talk to anyone else in the room and I'm pretty sure they relived  all their HS glory for the night.  They still acted like high schoolers.  Everyone else was pretty cool though.  

If you're having doubts and time and financial issues, I wouldn't bother going.  Mine was about 5 min from home and cost me dinner, so it was cool to see where people had ended up, but I wouldn't have missed much by not gong

• thanks for the response guys. i kinda figured i should trust my gut on this one. the last time i spoke to any of them, they still sounded like high schoolers, so i doubt any of it's changed.

maybe by the time the 20 year rolls around, i'll feel differently...
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • We're going to mine in October. I was a pretty neutral party in high school, so seeing people won't be an entirely negative situation. There are a few people who I'm looking forward to seeing simply because they've improved over the years and will probably stand to the side with me and bitch about things, so that's cool.

My fiance and I are also interested to see what this one jackass is gonna try to pull. He acts like he's so high and mighty when it comes to work, but he is actually a few levels below my fiance at the corporation where they both work and my fiance is the one who trained him. We really want to see if he tries to make his job sound more important than it actually is because my fiance wants to shut him down if he does, because dude bro is seriously always about three words from being fired.

• I graduated highschool 10 years ago, but I don't know if there's going to be a reunion.  I'm not on any social media, but my mom still works for the school district I attended, so I feel like she'd hear about it even if I didn't.  I doubt I'd go.  I'm no longer in touch with anyone from high school.  There are a few people I wouldn't mind catching up with, but overall I just don't care very much.  Maybe at 15 or 20 years, I'll feel differently.
  • i have no interest in my high school reunion. just not particularly meaningful to me, so i haven't gone. i've been to my my college 10 year though (yes, i'm old), and plan to go back for my college 15th. 
  • I've been out of high school 7 years now and I would by no means attend a 10 year high school reunion. Everyone I want to know about I am facebook friends with, the other people I could care less about. Not to mention most of the people never left the area or went away to college and are coming back.
  • With Facebook, I don't have to go to my high school reunions to know what's going on with everyone. It saves me money and awkward conversations. Win-win!
  • I graduated 10 years ago. I think our reunion is next month. I'm not going.

I hated high school. The only people I would care to see are the people I'm still in contact with, so there's no reason for me to go there to see them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I skipped my 5, 10, and 15.  I still live close by and have some friends from back then, but the ones I'm in touch with are the only ones I want to be in touch with.  Reunions just don't interest me, so I don't plan to attend them. 

For the reasons you've given, I say don't bother going. 

• My HS has never has reunions. It was a boarding school and we have all pretty much kept in touch. If there was a reunion, I would not go. Most of the kids there were spoiled and entitled. 

I wouldn't go If i were you for the reasons you listed. Your sister can go to hers when the time comes. This is your reunion and your decision. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There was no reunion planned for my 10 year (it is the responsibility of the person who was class president at my HS), and ours hates reunions so she didn't plan one. Oddly enough, everyone started rumors on FB that I had been the class president (couldn't be further from the truth!) so people were blaming me for not planning it. Great.

DH's is in a few months. He wants to go and we probably will (though I'll be 36 weeks preg), but he's the super social friends with everyone type, so I understand.

We find it tough to make "new" friends in our late twenties, so maybe he'll be able to reconnect with some people.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards