Wedding Reception Forum

Slide Show or Framed Photos ?

I am hoping to incorporate some meaningful photos of the two of us into our reception. Which is a better a slideshow of photos or simple touches of framed photos around the reception venue?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Slide Show or Framed Photos ?

• I think it depends on the venue. We did framed photos around our RD venue because there was a fireplace, couches and it was "homey". Our reception venue was modern - our photog set up a slideshow on a laptop. Both were a hit. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I enjoy slide shows. I think that in the middle of the reception it focuses the attention back on the bride and groom. And who can not love some embarrassing baby pictures of the newly weds?
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013

suzyk723 said:
    I enjoy slide shows. I think that in the middle of the reception it focuses the attention back on the bride and groom. And who can not love some embarrassing baby pictures of the newly weds?
    Me.  I'm not a fan of embarrassing baby pictures in general.  And I hate slide shows at receptions because they treat the guests like a captive audience and makes the couple look AWish.  Let the guests eat, drink, dance, mingle, and converse amongst themselves and focus their attention as they see fit.
  • Between toasts, speeches, prayers, and spot light dances, a slide show featured during the reception just adds another event that guests are "forced" to sit through. At every wedding I've been too with a featured slide show, I've noticed guests getting to get drinks, go smoke, talk, ect. when it comes on. Most guests just don't care.

We did a slide show and watched it at our rehearsal dinner since pretty much everyone there was in the slide show. At the reception, we had it scrolling on a flag screen tv in the room where we had cocktail hour. People would stop as watch if they wanted or could mingle and eat without feeling like they had to stop.

Good luck.
  • No slide shows, please!  Nobody wants to sit through any presentations.  I've seen it where the slide show just goes on a loop in a corner, but it still seems really AW because it's large and intrusive. 

We had some small framed photo collages of ourselves with guests at the wedding throughout the years and placed them in the foyer.  The people who were interested in such things looked and enjoyed and those who weren't interested didn't have it shoved in their faces. 

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We had some photos in frames on the table where the guest book was. It added a personal touch to things but without forcing our guests to sit there and look at them all, like would happen with a slide show.
  • If by slide show you mean you make everyone sit and watch a video - definitely don't do it! I went to an RD where the BM made a 30 minute video of the B&G's lives prior to meeting and after they met. It included interviews with WP and family. It was terrible, boring, and some of the interviews SUPER inappropriate.

Our slide show at our reception was a laptop set up on a table by the bar that had scrolling pictures from the ceremony that our photog quickly set up while people were eating dinner. People could look at it if they wanted... or not. 
    *********************************************************************************

• RedJacks25RedJacks25 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2013
    I like the idea of a slideshow playing in the background at the reception, while everything else is going on. People can glance at it if they care to, but otherwise won't be interrupted by it.

Edited because I like using too many words.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like the idea of framed photos. It's less "in your face" and the thought of a laptop, projector, and screen at a wedding is a huge turnoff to me.
  • aefowler said:
    I like the idea of framed photos. It's less "in your face" and the thought of a laptop, projector, and screen at a wedding is a huge turnoff to me.
    Agreed, a slide show is too much. 
  • Slideshows remind me of highschool graduations, and are boring for anyone not in the slideshow.

We had two framed pictures (11x14) as decoration on our "gift table" that we didn't want to look like a gift table, and that worked for us.

• Thank you all for the great advice! I was at a wedding just last weekend where they had a slideshow & I thought it was way too long & boring but wasn't sure what others thought. I think a few by the guest book will be perfect! Thank you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did our guest book as a scrapbook of photo's from throughout our relationship.  And then we framed pictures of our parents and grandparents on their wedding day and included it with one of our engagement pictures on the table surrounding it. 

Slideshows are "fun" for some people, while others could care less. 

Anniversary
  • We're thinking of setting digital photo frames in a few places around the reception with photos of us at our many adventures. No one *has* to view them, but they're there for those who want to.

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." -Robert Fulghum<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• When my cousin got married this summer, him and his (then FI) played a cute slideshow at the rehearsal dinner, which was great because it was all close family so everyone enjoyed it. 

My brother and his (then FI) played a slideshow for her deceased father at the reception, which was short and pretty moving because even though her father was not there, he was still honored in part of the day. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • I like the framed photos idea.  One wedding I went to had a sort of timeline of pictures through the bride and grooms life from birth all the way to the wedding.  It was cute.
  • I like framed photo idea better. You save on decorations and can create a nice atmosphere by using matching frames, which you can also use after the wedding.

If you do a slide show, have it somewhere in the background, so people are not forced to sit through a bunch of stupid childhood/teenage/whatever photos of the two of you. Many people totally over-do it. 
  • Majelin86Majelin86 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    We did a slideshow - it was just on in the background so people could watch it or not watch it whenever they wanted. It was only running for the cocktail hour (which was actually a half hour), and through dinner until speeches started.
  • Kelcita21 said:
    When my cousin got married this summer, him and his (then FI) played a cute slideshow at the rehearsal dinner, which was great because it was all close family so everyone enjoyed it. 

My brother and his (then FI) played a slideshow for her deceased father at the reception, which was short and pretty moving because even though her father was not there, he was still honored in part of the day. 
    While you may have found this "moving," I'd be willing to be that others did not find this to be "moving" or even appropriate-the wedding was not a funeral or even a sequel to it.  They would not have spoken up out of consideration for the bride's feelings, but she wasn't showing consideration for theirs by springing this on the guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards