Wedding Reception Forum

First Meeting with Venues...Advice?

Hey guys! My fiance (still so strange to write that out!) and I are going to see the first reception venue we're considering tonight. It's our first time speaking with any vendor - any advice on what we should ask? I have a great planner book that seems to cover all the basics, but I'd love to see if anyone has anything from personal experience they can share. Thanks!

Re: First Meeting with Venues...Advice?

• Hey guys! My fiance (still so strange to write that out!) and I are going to see the first reception venue we're considering tonight. It's our first time speaking with any vendor - any advice on what we should ask? I have a great planner book that seems to cover all the basics, but I'd love to see if anyone has anything from personal experience they can share. Thanks!

Most venues will answer all of your questions before you ask them.

It's important that they have the timeframe/date available that you want, the food you want, the bar package you want, and you can afford it.

Just get a general vibe from a venue. I found online reviews to be much more telling than any song and dance that the venue could give.

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    If you have something particular in mind- ask about it before hand. Such as any extra food or dessert items (most venues won't let you bring in extra food or beverage... but a candy bar is OK). If you want a table for something- will they provide it. Who is in charge of setting everything up? (including extras like a candy bar or table with photos).

Do you require additional insurance?
    What alternative options do you provide for guests with food allergies/ health conditions (ie. diabetes)?
    Is the total based on adults? (usually yes)
    What decor, if any, is provided? 
    Are gratuities and taxes included in the price?
    Is parking available? (particularly overnight if you have a guest who drives but then drinks and should be taking a cab home)
    Do they have connections with other vendors for discounts? (they may recommend a florist, DJ, photographer or cake designer that they often work with for other weddings)
    When is the food tasting? (FH and I live OOT and were told we could do our details/food picking whenever we were in town again, turns out we could only actually taste food 3 times per year- that was never communicated, so we didn't get to taste anything, just picked it.)

Hope that helps some. A lot of finer details can be discussed at a later date when you have your "details" meeting (once you've secured the venue for your date, and usually much closer to the wedding date). But if you do want something specific, make sure to ask about it now, as the venue may tell you it isn't an option, then you'll have to decide how important that is to you. Same with anything cost related- get that now. 
  • Thanks guys! This all really helped.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards