Wedding Etiquette Forum

To honor or not to honor?

recently, my future mother in law has requested to have a memorial for her mother at our wedding. I have agreed to have a bouquet of flowers at the memorial table at the reception in honor of her and a bouquet to honor my father. However, should i put her mother next to my father's memorial on the wedding program? My fiance never met his grandmother and therefore, i do not know if it is really necessary to include her on the program. Please Help!!

Re: To honor or not to honor?

• If you FI has NO relationship or did not know this woman, I certainly would not. But personally I am not a fan of memorials at weddings. I will not be memorializing my great grandmother who passed even though I GREATLY lament her not being here to watch me get married...which was always what I had hoped for.
    Anniversary
  • Personally, if your FI never even met the woman, I don't think it is necessary to include her in the program.  
  • I think that if your FMIL has never mentioned anything about the program and just asked you to have a memorial for her mother and was pleased to hear about the bouquet of flowers, then it's okay not to only list your father in the program. Do you have your wording worked out for your father in the program? There are ways to word the program so that you mention him specifically and also mention a general 'those who could not be with us today' if you'd like to.
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards