Chit Chat

FI and Wedding Planning

My FI cares about and wants to be involved planning wise with music, food, and what he and the groomsmen will wear.  Everything else, he is leaving up to me.  So far, I love wedding planning and the "freedom" to choose everything.  I was wondering what other Knotties' FIs/DHs are/were like during the wedding planning.  What sorts of priorities, wedding planning wise, does he have?  

Re: FI and Wedding Planning

• My FI is pretty hands-off for the most part. He just wants to get married, doesn't care much how that ends up happening. His only request is an open bar, so no worries there. I've also told him that his wedding party and attire are completely up to him. I'm trying to talk to him about his preferences regarding all the other things (invites, colors, etc.) but he pretty much says that whatever makes me happy is fine with him.
  • My fiancé hasn't done shit, but he's never been a planner, so it's nbd. I'll be glad when this is all over though. I'm way tired of wedding.

• My fiance had half of it planned (a pig roast @ his parents farm) before he even proposed! Other than that all he wants is for me to wear an actual wedding dress that he doesn't see until the ceremony.

• My partner has explicitly stated that he's leaving all the planning to me. He says I'm the one with creative vision, so he's not going to get involved. I still bounce things off of him though, and gauge by his response whether it's a good idea or a bad one.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • My H and I picked out the venue, photographer, DJ, officiant, and tuxes together. I handled whatever else was left on my own. He also helped on the DIY projects (table numbers, votives with corks and ribbon around them, wine bottle centerpieces). 

• My FI has been pretty involved. He picked out our caterer, and has been helping with decor and invitations. And has input for everything.

Anniversary
  • We're kind of in the narrow down to a couple options, then decide camp for the things he cares about like food and booze. Things like flowers and centerpieces, he couldn't care less. This has worked well for us. I ask his opinion when I want to and generally get a 'whatever you want' response. 
  • We've had very little to plan. Talked about what we wanted before getting engaged. Having a small family only wedding. I gave him ideas for the lunch afterwards and we picked the restaurant together. We will be picking the menu together as well. Discussed where we want to honeymoon but I'm letting him book all of that.

My parents are throwing us a party a month later. He and my parents let me pick location. He is helping with the menu for that. I'm picking our photographer. We're still in discussion exactly what we're doing for music. (DJ or Ipod) We will be planning the music together. 

We both are planners who like to think things through. I've asked his opinion on things like a veil or flowers and he says, "Whatever you want dear."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI and I decided that we need to agree on everything for the wedding since this is his wedding too. I like that he hands on in the planning and so far everything is going smooth. We agreed on the venue, the band, and now the food is done.
  • FI cares about four things: the food, the booze, the music, and the lighting. (I swear, boys and their affinity for proper lighting. It drives me banana sandwich.) As for the rest, he just wants me to be happy, so I'm getting to make lots of decisions. He offers input here and there, and sometimes I have to beg for it, but I'm definitely the driving force behind planning and getting things done. 
  • FI helped pick the venue, photographer, DJ, hotel and limos.  Everything else is on me.  I bounce ideas off of him and he's usually pretty helpful.  I think I'm pretty lucky because all of my friends FI/husbands had no part in anything.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My H was the social chair of his frat in college so he wanted to be heavily involved in and was super excited about planning. He wanted to be in charge of entertainment and equipment (DJ, photobooth, ceremony sound, chairs, etc.), which worked great. He also booked the trolley we used for a shuttle. We went to all the floral appts, meetings, tastings, etc. and decided on everything together. I'm really glad he was super hands on - it brought us really close and we love to reminisce about assembling invitations and tying ribbon late into the night. It was a lot of fun! The only thing he didn't want to know about was my dress. I felt super lucky!
    *********************************************************************************

• FI also cared about food and music, and would help with other stuff when asked. We clashed a bit about etiquette stuff; he was arguing to b-list work friends until three days out! He rues the day I came to TK.
  • We've done everything together.  I love that he has an interest in all this since it's his wedding too!  We've had a blast planning it together.
  • He's been fairly hands on with all the big stuff:   picking colors, choosing invitations, the venue, the menu, the music, and the cake.   Details like favors, table decor, flowers he doesn't care about.
  • FI picked the venue, catering, his and the groomsmen's attire and helped my sister design the invitations and paper goods. Our opinions on the flowers were vastly different so he let me handle that. He's very involved!
  • My husband did not really care about anything.  If I needed help or asked him his opinion he would help, but pretty much gave me the green light to plan away.  He helped narrow down venues, and he picked what the guys would wear and had a few things he wanted to register for--but only because I asked him to be involved those things.

Anniversary
  • DH was all about the cake. He attended every venue tour, florist meeting, with me. I would say he was pretty involved.
  • I'm envious of you! My FI is a groomzilla and has an opinion about EVERYTHING. Which I do appreciate, except when he's wrong. ;)
  • FI wanted to help with food and music mostly.  I asked him to come along to pretty much everything else for the final decision except my dress, the bridesmaids' dresses and flowers (because he really didn't care about those).  He enjoyed the catering tasting and the cake appointment :) and he even went to a bridal show with me where we picked the venue and dj.
  • I want my FI input on all the big stuff. So I pick out for example 16 reception places and then he cuts it down from there to 8 and then we go see those 8 and we choose together. It's worked out so far!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • He hasn't been too involved in planning. We picked the vendors out together, but I picked the centerpieces and have been keeping track of everything (when a payment is due, scheduling, etc). I'll also be happy when the wedding is over - I'm tired of planning. If I had to do it again we would have just eloped and spent all of our budget on a honeymoon.
  • FI wanted to be involved so we chose the venue, DJ and invitations together and I bounce ideas off him. But now he's over the planning and will only be involved in the menu and his suit. He has now decided I can chose what I like. Am glad he was involved in the big decisions (he even helped with my dress - I gave 4 choices I hoped would suit me and he chose the 3 he liked best. I've chosen one liked as well)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI has helped with some of the bigger items: venue/caterer, dj, photographer, officiant. He also helped with the design invitations. He hasn't done anything with flowers, decor, dresses, etc. Since I'm a picky eater, he did most of the food sampling at our tasting as well.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards