Attire & Accessories Forum

Bra Tips

Does anyone have any tips for me on choosing my wedding bra? I'm going shopping today for it. I bought one months ago from Victoria's Secret that the salesgirl helped me pick out and I'm so disappointed with it. It's a white lacy strapless with little jewels on it (pretty) but at my first fitting I realized that it did nothing for me. Even the seamstress commented. It squished my breasts down and flat so that I had zero (ZERO) cleavage and lift. There was nothing happening at the top of my dress, where the dress ended at the top was just flat skin up to my neck. Even my older 'crappy' bras do more for me than that!

Today I'm going to La Senza, and I realize that I think that's only a store in Canada- but I still wanted tips on how to choose a great bra for a strapless wedding dress that will have lots of lift! Also, the seamstress suggested that I purchase cutlets- but not the gels. (I don't know why she specified not the gels) I've never bought them before.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm a 34B in case that helps- and my dress is strapless.
"It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson

Re: Bra Tips

• So basically you just want some lift rather then to add a cup size, right?  I find that strapless bras really do not help with that very much, unless you get more of a bustier or long line bra that will stay in place.  The way to keep the girls up is with support and regular strapless bras, I find, really don't provide that because there is no support from the bottom or the top.  With a long line bra You will get the support needed to keep the bra (and boobs) up from below.

What about asking your seamstress to add some padding to the bottom of the cups in your dress? This could give you the lift you are going for without the extra annoyance of a bra.

And I know what bra you are talking about from VS.  My friend bought the same thing to help with her boobs and she ended up not wearing it because her seamstress had not only added cups but padding to her dress and with the bra it was just too much fabric without much noticeable difference.

• I have a strapless bombshell bra from VS, and it my boobs look fantastic. I had originally bought some boob inserts to add a cup size since my dress is strapless, but they didn't look right. With that bra I don't even need them. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2013
    That was the first strapless bra that I have bought. I have to admit, lol, that I usually wear a normal bra and 'tuck in the straps' when I need a strapless bra. However, I thought for my wedding I should be classier than that. I was disappointed with the results! My technique always at least worked! It makes sense that you are saying that strapless bras do not help very much. I've never heard of a long line bra (had to google it) and I think that is a pretty good idea! I will ask to try some on today! Looks very bridal, as well. :)

My second fitting is tomorrow so I'll bring the new bra that I find and hopefully love today and hopefully that will fix the problem. I'm lucky enough that my seamstress is 'the best' in my geographic area in terms of reputation so I really trust her especially because I'm not very good with these types of things. She was frowning and figuring out what to do with my bustline- she had gels and cups she could sew in but she said that what she wants me to do is come back next time with a push, push, PUSH up bra and also to buy the cutlets and then we'll see. She was telling me that it made a big difference with another customer who recently had the same issue. Hopefully it's way better tomorrow and if not I'm sure she'll have a good suggestion. 

That is so funny that you know which bra I'm talking about! The salesgirl pressured me to buy it (but it's my fault) I had a different bra in my basket and she said "But don't you want something prettier for your wedding day?" Eek! I'm not usually one to bow to sales pressure but I found myself feeling self-conscious about choosing a pretty bra from this gorgeous girl who obviously knows better than me. lol. She also sold me on pretty white lace panties that are see-through which was another mistake since it's my girls who will see me in them getting ready- LOL. Oh well.

Ps- Maggie you were (are!) such a beautiful bride!!
  • My consultant suggested I have the seamstress add in padding for support/lift and I got without. I haven't had my fitting yet but that's what I'm planning on doing. 
  • That was the first strapless bra that I have bought. I have to admit, lol, that I usually wear a normal bra and 'tuck in the straps' when I need a strapless bra. However, I thought for my wedding I should be classier than that. I was disappointed with the results! My technique always at least worked! It makes sense that you are saying that strapless bras do not help very much. I've never heard of a long line bra (had to google it) and I think that is a pretty good idea! I will ask to try some on today! Looks very bridal, as well. :)

My second fitting is tomorrow so I'll bring the new bra that I find and hopefully love today and hopefully that will fix the problem. I'm lucky enough that my seamstress is 'the best' in my geographic area in terms of reputation so I really trust her especially because I'm not very good with these types of things. She was frowning and figuring out what to do with my bustline- she had gels and cups she could sew in but she said that what she wants me to do is come back next time with a push, push, PUSH up bra and also to buy the cutlets and then we'll see. She was telling me that it made a big difference with another customer who recently had the same issue. Hopefully it's way better tomorrow and if not I'm sure she'll have a good suggestion. 

That is so funny that you know which bra I'm talking about! The salesgirl pressured me to buy it (but it's my fault) I had a different bra in my basket and she said "But don't you want something prettier for your wedding day?" Eek! I'm not usually one to bow to sales pressure but I found myself feeling self-conscious about choosing a pretty bra from this gorgeous girl who obviously knows better than me. lol. She also sold me on pretty white lace panties that are see-through which was another mistake since it's my girls who will see me in them getting ready- LOL. Oh well.

Ps- Maggie you were (are!) such a beautiful bride!!
    I love that line.  I wonder if the girl was married or has worn a wedding dress because the last thing I cared about was the look of the undergarment but the actual comfort.  Also, even if my H wasn't passed out on our wedding night I would have still worn my boring underwear and then freshened up and changed into something a bit more sexy after I was out of my dress.

Oh and if I were you I would try on and maybe buy a few different styles of bras to see which really gives you the look you are going for.  You can always return the one's that don't work.

Aw and thanks.  I don't have the "wow, I look beautiful" moments often, like maybe 3 times my whole life, but that day was definitely one of them.

Is the dress in your username pic, THE dress?

• MayDay513MayDay513 member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2013
    I am a 32B. I got this for my wedding. It stayed on pretty well. No issues with slipping.  http://www.victoriassecret.com/bras/strapless-and-multi-way/add-2-cups-multi-way-bra-bombshell?ProductID=139322&CatalogueType=OLS
  • Yes this is my dress! Of course, obviously, this is the model pic! :) I had success with buying my wedding bra on Friday. It's a white strapless with a little round crystally jewel in the middle (not important, but still it is pretty) and it is pretty ultra-padded and push-up. My seamstress was impressed and happy with how the top of the dress looks and my Mom also said that the bust looked great- she didn't see it before but I could tell she genuinely thought it looked nice. Whew. 

Only mistake was I accidently bought one of those super-sticky bras that you stick on. Yes, accidently. I thought that it was meant to go under your bra like the little cutlets that my seamstress recommended. Wasn't until I took it home, tried it on and read the directions that I realized that this is meant to be worn by itself! Oops! I still tried it on under my bra but if anything it made the bra sink lower on my body. And it was $60. And non-refundable for sanitary reasons. I'm the worst shopper ever. LOL. Hopefully one day I have a low-back dress or something and I'll say- "Oh good! I have those dream shapers!" It also says right on the box not to wear it for more than 6 hours. I don't know what I was thinking buying that for the wedding day. Plus, it was so, so super sticky which I guess is great for keeping it in place but it was SO WEIRD and pretty much painful to 'rip' it off of my breasts after. Whoa.

Here's the link for the bra that I bought, just in case anyone wants to see: 

And here are the dream shapers that I wasted $60 on. lol. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards