Wedding Reception Forum

wedding on a budget

I don't know if this question has been asked yet or not but I'm planning my wedding for under 3 thousand buying as we save because we don't have a lot of money. I need some good ideas for an indoor reception. The reception is at an old house turned women's club in Yakima. The wedding is also there as well. I want fun and pretty but something affordable. Any ideas are very helpful. Our colors are purple and pink and since we are same sex brides we also want to incorporate the LGBT colors red orange yellow green blue purple. and of course pink. We don't want the rainbow colors to over ride the main colors. We were thinking of the brides maids wearing the accent colors as their shoes. like one would wear red one would wear orange one green one blue one yellow one purple one pink. maybe some side things in those colors as well. But I need ideas for like the food on our budget and some cool decorating ideas. I'm not sure what to decorate or how. Basicly I would just like some ideas to start generating ideas so I can discuss them with my fiancee. I am not good at planning weddings as I've never done it and I lose focus easily. Thanks everyone happy planning, :)

Re: wedding on a budget

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    For the LGBT colors, you could include them in the cake http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3109/3178190119_23c96258d4.jpg  and I like the idea of having the WP wear different colored shoes- they could also carry different colored flowers or clutches, signature drink eg. rainbow sangria http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/11/1e/83/111e83e183571939b58cd4755c1935cf.jpg rainbow fruit kebabs, colorful guest book and seating chart, etc http://www-static.weddingbee.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/13/rainbow14.jpg and different colored paper lanterns might work too.
  • I'm not a fan of rainbow colored bridesmaid shoes.  First, and most importantly, if you require specific non-neutral shoes you need to pay for them.  Do you really want to buy shoes for all of your bridesmaids?  How would that even work out, numbers-wise?  What if you have more or fewer people than colors of the rainbow?  Second, even if they were purchased for me I really don't want to wear orange/red/blue/purple/yellow shoes, and they're certainly not likely to ever be used again.  Further, I'm really picky about my shoes and have some health issues that mean that wearing cheap shoes is a no-go for me.

• I agree that being told I need to buy orange shoes would be aggravating if I was a bridesmaid. What about doing the accent colors in jewelry, ribbons in their hair or with bouquets?

Does your venue provide a caterer or an approved caterer list? That would be the best way to find out how to get food in your budget and what can be done for it to match your theme or incorporate specific colors. There were some caterers I thought we could afford when I glanced at their websites but when you actually get a proposal with all of the service costs, the service costs way more than the food.

Figure out what you can afford first and then see what your vendors can do for that price. If you don't have any idea what you want, but you know you can and are willing to spend $5 a centerpiece, you could go to florists and ask if there is anything they can do at that price. Or contact the person who you booked the venue with and ask what other people have done and where they rented or got decorations from. We went with a specific caterer at our venue because they also supply lanterns and other decorations we can rent and we liked only having to deal with one company.
  • I think incorporating the rainbow colors into the centerpieces or bouquets would be the best idea.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards