Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Booking Without a Trial

I am getting married March 2014 and I would like to lock in a hair and make-up artist withing the next couple of weeks. My dilemma is, waiting until February to do my trial for my Bridal portraits. I don't really want to spend the money on the trial to just go home afterwards, so I wanted to use my trial for when I take my bridal portraits. I also do not want to miss out on getting a good hair and make-up person by waiting so long to book, is it crazy to book the person I want now, get the trial done in February and hope that I like it? Has anyone had theirs done with a reputable person and ended up not using them on the big day? Your help and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Re: Booking Without a Trial

• I am getting married next March as well. I just booked my makeup artist and I am currently in search of a hairstylist. For my makeup artist, I closely inspected her photos to make sure it was the style I am thinking for my wedding day. I am planning on having a trial soon so that I can discuss and make sure that I get what I want.  My makeup artist is willing to schedule a second trial closer to the wedding (for some additional $) in case I change my mind a little.  I am more than willing to spend a little extra money for a second trial in order to make sure things are planned out for my wedding day. I am hoping that the first trial will be all I need but see if you can schedule a second just in case. 
  • I booked a long time before my trial. I think if they have experience doing bridal stuff you should be ok. :) Do it in Feb see how it goes? Most will take feedback well. Just tell them what you like or what you don't as you go.
  • I had my first trial with a reputable MUA -- and hated it.  If I had looked that way on my wedding day (or even the day of my bridal portraits), I would have been very disappointed.  Because of my experience, I always recommend booking a trial well before the wedding day.

When I got my hair and makeup done with a different MUA for my E-pics, I loved it, so I booked her on the spot for my wedding, but still did a trial for my wedding day look.  I guess what I'm saying is, I understand why you are doing this, but I still think it's risky.

• Ditto @stephiehall.  I had a trial with a MUA who many people liked here on my local board.  I HATED it.  I did my trial early enough that I had plenty of time to find someone new.  I wouldn't want unnecessary stress of having to find someone else just a month before my wedding.  Not to mention you want to like your bridal portraits too!  

The trial I hated and the next one with someone else I ended up loving I had no events planned.  Sure, it may be "wasted" money.....but peace of mind is priceless!  Good luck!
  • I booked my hair and makeup not too long ago, so it doesn't really leave me any time for trials. I'm not too worried though because my cousin who is in the wedding party is a hairstylist and dabbles in makeup too, so she can fix anything if it goes wrong!
  • Any recommendations for top make-up artists in the KC area?
  • @sportogirlTry posting this on your local board, you'll get a better response.  On the right side of the page, go to Choose Another Board and select Local Wedding Boards, then click Go.  You will be able to select your local board from the results.  Good luck!
  • I vote that you do the trial sooner rather than later, so that you get the MUA you want. My sister didn't do a trial before her wedding, and she was so upset with the results on her wedding day that she just took over and ended up doing her own makeup while the MUA watched. Would it be possible to schedule a trial so that you can go to a party afterwards, like for Christmas Eve or New Year's? Then it won't seem as much like a waste of money.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards