Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Not at all enchanting

My daughter's wedding  venue was at An Enchanting Evening in Roland, AR on August 31, 2013.  We were not at all pleased.  Perhaps a very small wedding and reception would be okay there, but we had around 80 guests and the venue is simply not conducive for that many.  The place is laid out like a rat's maze where guests are separated from one another by various levels and overgrown plantlife.  I had several guests who commented that they had been unable to see the bride and groom at all during the toast, bouquet toss, etc.  I was the mother of the bride, and trying to run between the various levels to greet people was exhausting and confusing.  The owners of the venue also happen to live in the house.  One of them was in her pajamas eating a bowl of cereal in the livingroom when I arrived at 2 p.m.  She was not at all friendly, nor helpful in any way.  I had several guests who commented that when they arrived, one of them was standing inside and when asked if this was the wedding site, answered, "Huh?"  It was a very hot day, which we had planned for, so we had the caterers set up inside the building, but there was no refrigerator in this area.  We were forced to use the bar a full level away, and down rocky steps, to dispense the drinks.  This is awkward, to say the least, because people had to get their plates filled inside, then trot a mile away to get their drinks.  We had several bottles of wine and drinks inside the refrigerator behind the bar.  It took nearly two hours to prepare the large before-dinner snack tray, which I had placed on the bottom shelf of the fridge.  I heard a very loud crash, and turned to see that the upper shelf of the fridge had crashed and pancaked everything beneath it.  Our snacks were destroyed, two not -inexpensive bottles of wine were broken, and we spent an hour of our valuable time cleaning up the disaster.  My husband retreived the owner to show him what had happened and a more disinterested person could not have been found.  His only comment was that whoever used the venue the week prior must have removed the shelf hinge.  Perhaps that was the same party who left all 20 venue tables caked with filth and bird poop which we had to scramble to clean before we could place our white tablecloths and decor.  Just when I thought, "thank goodness this is over and I can leave this horrible place,"  the owners sent a teenage girl down to tell us that we were responsible for taking all the garbage bags (and there were tons) way down the road to a dumpster in darkness one cannot imagine without being there.  I give our caterers, florists, and cake maker an A.  An Enchanting Evening gets an F, and I am writing this to prevent others from the wedding nightmare we experienced.

Re: Not at all enchanting

• You might want to post this on your local board.

Did you tour the venue before hand? Did they disclose that the venue as someone's home? Does your contract say that a frig would be available and that you are responsible for trash?

Honestly, I think a lot of this could have been prevented by better planning/ scheduling.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not to be mean, but did you not visit/tour the venue prior to the wedding to see the layout?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards