Moms and Maids

XP: MOH Duties

mimiphinmimiphin member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited September 2013 in Moms and Maids

I keep seeing that some people are having 2 MOH's. what in your mind does a MOH do and how does it differ from a BM?

In my social circle a MOH signs the paper, sometimes thows the bach party/shower but the anyone else can plan those parties. I threw a Bacholorette party for my Little Sorority sister and wasn't in the wedding.

~ETA XP to etiquette. I really do wonder what people do.

Re: XP: MOH Duties

• In my mind - and keep in mind I'm NEY but have been in bridal parties - a MOH(s) is named to indicate someone especially close or special to the bride. Typically she signs the marriage license. If there's more than one, one will hold the bouquet for the bride, etc., and the other will sign the license, or the MOB will sign instead. Around here, she usually will take the lead in planning the bridal shower or bachelorette party, but not always - I threw a bridal shower for one of my friends, and I was a BM.
  • MOH only duty is to buy a dress and show up. The only difference between her and your bridesmaids is she walks in right before you. And, she will stand directly next to you. That's it.

As for the bachelorette party and shower, those are gifts and not required.
  • MOH just shows up in the dress, sober and on time like everyone else. She has no other duties - it's just an honorary title. 
    *********************************************************************************

• So then who signs the marriage license as a witness?

• Whichever one you want, or you could have your mom or dad do it, maybe a sibling?
  • Really? Why would parents or a sibling do that?

I am more wondering what other people have/will do(ne). For me my MOH is signing the license and until I came here I thought that was always the case.  

• mimiphin said:

Really? Why would parents or a sibling do that?

I am more wondering what other people have/will do(ne). For me my MOH is signing the license and until I came here I thought that was always the case.  

What do you mean WHY would they do that? Anyone who can legally sign a contract can sign as a witness to a wedding.
    Traditionally, the MOH and best man does it, but you can have Aunt Trudy and crazy Uncle Stewie sign, instead.

If you want two MOHs, that fine. One can sign the contract and the other can, I don't know... hold your bouquet during the ceremony? I dunno, don't overthink it lol.
  • mimiphin said:

Really? Why would parents or a sibling do that?

One of my friends had her mom and her husband's mom sign the license.  It was sweet and the moms loved that they got to do that.  There's no "always" when it comes to these things.  After all, there are plenty of people who don't have a wedding party, don't name one person MOH, or just have a private wedding with a few immediate family members.  What did you think that these people did?

They just need witnesses, if the license requires it.  It doesn't matter who, so long as they are 18.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards