Attire & Accessories Forum

A veil to go with a lace Augusta Jones

I found a dress that I am madly in love with and after all the hemming and hawing it should be in my possession in January... the wait is killing me! 

It's an Augusta Jones, Belle. But the issue is now... THE VEIL.

I've tried a few veils at the shop but they always seemed too poufy or flouncy. Too gathered. Too busy. I have a long face so I don't want to drag it down more. I'd love a drop veil but I don't know about the edging. Pencil edge, mantilla lace, hand cut,  I want the reveal but don't want it to be overwhelming when it's folded back. HELP! I'm clearly overthinking this! It seems like so many people do a lace edge veil with a lace dress but I wonder if that's too much. I even feel like the veil in the photo is too busy. I know I need more volume in my hair but it will definitely be pulled back but not piled high.  I'm  5'10 and he's 6'1 so after the heels I can't get too much taller without getting TOO tall.

I feel like I can't find a lot of photos of brides who had a lace dress and an unembellished edge.

Wedding info: We are having 2 weddings. (I need to get some bang for my buck) We'll have a private elopement abroad and then a small ceremony and reception with family and close friends in Newport, RI. So I want to keep it a little understated but still very romantic. 

Fellow brides and now wives - how did you make your veil decision? Is the dress too busy for a veil? I don't know you but I trust you!!

Re: A veil to go with a lace Augusta Jones

• I have no advice but I'm very interest to hear others' input!  I just ordered a very similar dress: http://www.allurebridals.com/products/C243, and I'm thinking a lace-edged veil will just be too much.  I think I want fingertip length and pretty simple.  Maybe a bit of beading to bling it up a little?  I don't know; I'm stuck on this too.  I actually like the one you have on in the pic; it doesn't overpower the dress and I don't think it's too busy.
  • I like the veil in the photo.
  • eas1223eas1223 member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited September 2013

I had an all lace Jim Hjelm and wore a veil that had a few lace accents but wasn't trimmed fully in lace. This pic shows the detail best. It's a veil by Toni Federici and I think it's the sunrise style.

• @arrichter1
    That dress is fantastic! Obviously I'm super gun-shy about lace edged veils but I would recommend a as minimal an edge as possible so that you and that radiant dress shine through. It has so much texture. Is the beaded sash part of the dress or an addition? If you have the sash I would definitely see if you could find a veil that incorporates that extra bit of bling.

I feel like the veil in the picture is just too "we took a veil and plunked it on my head" you also can't see the HUGE bow that's on it so that might explain why I might have a greater aversion to it than someone just seeing the photo. The sense I've gotten is that the veil should really be a part of the whole package and help to bring it all together in a way... just like EAS1223.

I love love love everything about your photo. Dress, Veil, Hair, Earrings.  You're making me want a sash. I feel like your veil is actually the perfect complement for an all lace dress.  It maintains the aesthetic but serves more to present your dress than to compete with it.  It looks like you had a gorgeous day for your wedding. Mazel Tov! Thanks so much for sharing  your picture!
  • Thanks! If you decide you want a sash, you could go the cheap route like I did. I bought some ivory fabric flowers that had lace detail on them from this etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/GingiBeads) and I sewed 3 of them onto a double-sided ivory ribbon for the sash, then used 2 of them that had bobby pins attached in my hair. It turned out to be under $40 for all of it.

Otherwise, I think your dress is fantastic without it. I love the layers on the bottom of the dress. Good luck!

• I have the same wedding dress!  I was going back and forth between a finger tip veil, like you have on in the picture,and a cathedral length veil. I am having a church wedding, and it is a rather large church so we ended up going with the cathedral length. My mother made my veil, and it has floral appliqués around the edges. I don't think lace edges are too much at all and even a mantilla veil would be beautiful. 
  • I have an all lace gown and went with a cathedral length, satin-trimmed veil. I thought lace on the veil AND all on the dress was too much, but the satin offsetting the lace was perfect :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards