November 2013 Weddings

First Dance Song

So one of the last big things we need to do is pick a first dance song. Everyone seems to have opinions about the type of song we should pick. I was just curious which songs people have chosen.

Re: First Dance Song

• We changed our minds a couple times when it came to picking a first dance song. When we first got engaged we thought of a song almost immediately since it was a popular romantic song on the radio but then we didn't want to go with it a couple months later since it was very overplayed and we wanted something more unique to us.

So we decided on a country song that was released last year I believe. So even though it's new, we have both loved it from the beginning and it really just describes our future and relationship together. It's by Canaan Smith and the title is "We Got Us".
  • We picked Jack Johnson "Better Together". FI and I listed to him a lot in college and he went to our alma matter
  • We are using the John Lennon version of "stand by me."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We're using the Beatles I Will.  But we have a bluegrass band so it will sound more like the Alison Krause version.   FI used to sing it to me all the time in 1997-98 when we first met.
  • My FI and I have always listened to Michael Buble together - we are doing "To Be Loved" by Michael Buble. 
  • We chose "Just the Way You Are" by Billy Joel
  • @cedixon0 I am dancing to that song with my Dad! He LOVES Billy Joel
  • One Thing by Finger Eleven
    Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

• We are having the HARDEST time with this ourselves - FI loves metal, I love all things pop. We both enjoy classic rock, but are having a realllllly hard time deciding on this one. I'll be following this thread for other ideas :-)

• We are using a song by Tony Lucca (you might know him from the finals of Season 2 of The Voice).  I have been a fan of his for a LONG time, and the first time I heard his song "Happily Ever After" more than a decade ago, I said "One day this will be my wedding song."  Thankfully, my fiance likes the song too and has agreed :)
  • Ours will be Smile by Uncle Kracker. It was the last song that played on the radio before my fiancé proposed
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The three that are at the top of my list are Crazy Girl by the Eli Young Band, I Cross my Heart by George Strait and Your Song by Ewan MacGregor (Moulin Rouge version). We just can't decided and I'm not positive one of those is going to be the one.
  • We're dancing to "Nothing else matters" by Metallica. This is something I've always wanted as long as I can remember. FI knew it when we first started dating and he totally loves the idea! :)
  • We're dancing to If I Didn't Have You by Thompson Square (:
  • We are also dancing to "if I didn't have you" by Thompson Square! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dramamonkeydramamonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited September 2013
    I think we're leaning towards "This Will Be Our Year" by The Zombies (but the OKGO cover)... 

The song is really cute and mid-tempo, and the lyrics are apt (we've been together 8 years) 

• mrspizanotobe - that's a great father/daughter song too!  I am having the hardest time picking my father/daughter song.  But "Just The Way You Are" is perfect for FI and myself because as soon as we met, we both felt like it was the first time we could really be ourselves.  Cue the "awwww".  I'm getting sappier as we get closer to the big day!
  • @cedixon0 that father/daughter song was harder for me to choose as well. Our other ideas were Steve Wonder "Isn't She Lovely", Nat King Cole "Unforgettable" or Frank Sinatra "The Way You Look Tonight". I made a big list of ideas and then my Dad and I took some time and listened to each of the songs to decide what we liked best. 

And "Just The Way You Are" sounds so perfect for you two! I'm sure it will be a wonderful moment :)
  • I know it's used alot, but for the longest time I have wanted to use "I loved her first" by Heartland as my father/daughter song.
  • @katierose08, if you want a fun spin on the Moulin Rouge "Your Song", look up Casey Abrams version. He does a great job with it!!
  • "With or Without You" by U2, as played by our string trio.  :)
  • "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" Aerosmith.  Spent a Friday night listening to a ton of songs and when we played that one, we both got teary. :)
  • Dont want to miss a thing Aerosmith 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think we're leaning towards "This Will Be Our Year" by The Zombies (but the OKGO cover)... 

The song is really cute and mid-tempo, and the lyrics are apt (we've been together 8 years) 

Love the OKGO version!
  • Carrying your love with me-George Strait, its our song :)
  • I Won't Let Go by Rascal Flatts :)
    imageLilySlim Weight loss tickers Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's not one that commonly shows up on the first dance lists, but we're dancing to Carla Bruni's Quelqu'un M'a Dit. 
  • Punk1215 said:
    We're dancing to If I Didn't Have You by Thompson Square (:
    We are also dancing to "if I didn't have you" by Thompson Square! :)

This song will be playing during our reception!!!!
    imageLilySlim Weight loss tickers Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm thinking either "Let's stay together" by Al Greene or "All I ever ask" by Nagee. A bit cliche, I know. 
  • our will be "wonderwall" by oasis (the ryan adams cover of it)

i'm obsessed with the show "the o.c." and that songs plays during an important moment for my favorite couple. my FI loves the show too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards