Pre-wedding Parties

DIY Wedding Planning Party

Instead of an engagement party I was contemplating having a wedding planning party as I plan to pool my resources of friends and relatives and DIY as much of the wedding as possible. Would it be presumptuous to ask the guests to bring a wedding planning/inspiration book to the party? And what sort of activities should/could I have to make it a bit more fun rather than just technical planning? I want it to be a party after all! Thoughts? Ideas? 

Re: DIY Wedding Planning Party

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2013
    sarahtrg said:
    Instead of an engagement party I was contemplating having a wedding planning party as I plan to pool my resources of friends and relatives and DIY as much of the wedding as possible. Would it be presumptuous to ask the guests to bring a wedding planning/inspiration book to the party? And what sort of activities should/could I have to make it a bit more fun rather than just technical planning? I want it to be a party after all! Thoughts? Ideas? 

You shouldn't be soliciting help from anyone. Your FI is there to help you with DIY, and otherwise you do it yourself (hence what DIY stands for) Many brides on the Budget/DIY wedding board have successfully completed DIY/Budget weddings with the help of their FI, not burdening family or friends with crafts and tasks.

You also shouldn't host your own engagement party, so having this party in lieu of an engagement party is a moot point.

If someone specifically asks you if they can help make something for the wedding, you can speak to that person individually about what they'd like to do.

• This idea is not okay.  It's nobody's job to help you plan your wedding.  You cannot throw a party for yourself.  You cannot ask for presents, much less specify which presents you want.  In a word, no.

• I was referring to family and friends that have already offered and are eager to help (my family is a bunch of crafty folks), not soliciting the help of family not wanting to be involved. I was just looking for ideas on how to entertain my family while we worked on crafts together. But thank you for your input ladies. :)
  • Blue_BirdBlue_Bird member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2013
    My friend did something like this for those of us who offered help. She sent an Evite about making invitations. It was just a few friends. She provided food and drink. We talked and made some invitations. It was low key. I don't think it's appropriate to ask them to bring wedding planning books. Forget the activities and provide good food, music, and booze.

P.S.-Don't be too disappointed if not much planning/crafting gets accomplished. It is a party, after all. ;)
  • sarahtrg said:
    I was referring to family and friends that have already offered and are eager to help (my family is a bunch of crafty folks), not soliciting the help of family not wanting to be involved. I was just looking for ideas on how to entertain my family while we worked on crafts together. But thank you for your input ladies. :)

So if I was one of your bridesmaids or, perhaps, your FMIL/FSIL who isn't able to help craft, I wouldn't be invited?

Seems kind of like a slippery slope to me.

• Most of my bridesmaids have offered to help with various things and I think that is perfectly fine. As long as no one is pressured into it I think it can be a nice bonding experience for you and those people.

In past weddings I often helped brides with crafts or tasks and I did it because I wanted to and we enjoyed the time spent together.

I wouldn't ask them to bring planning books because you might get overwhelmed with too much and then people might feel obligated to go buy a wedding planning book or something but other than that I think it sounds fun.  Oh and serve wine or margaritas and snacks :) Good luck!
  • Pick a date, ask those who have offered to help to come on that date, provide food and drinks, and DIY/craft. Don't call it a party (you don't invite people to a party & put them to work) or ask people to bring anything (asking for gifts is rude).
  • I really like the idea! Maybe you can have a project that you want to get started on prepared for the party so everyone can help!
  • I really like the idea! Maybe you can have a project that you want to get started on prepared for the party so everyone can help!

What?

• sarahtrg said:
    I was referring to family and friends that have already offered and are eager to help (my family is a bunch of crafty folks), not soliciting the help of family not wanting to be involved. I was just looking for ideas on how to entertain my family while we worked on crafts together. But thank you for your input ladies. :)
    If it's just taking people up on their offer to help, I would just have food and drinks. Put on Pandora. Nothing fancy. I wouldn't make a big party out of it. Just let people who offered to help know you'll be doing invitations on [insert day] and to stop by if they still want to help. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Since they have already offered then utilize your resources. Only bad thing I can see from having an event like this is that lots of different ideas being created & depending on how the people get along, will they like having their ideas shot down by each other? You may be better of doing email solitications of "hey, I'm working on favors and I want to be this color or style, any ideas?" Then people can send you their ideas (give them a few days to responsd) and you can pick from the ideas.

Once you figure out what you want to do, invite people over that have offered to help, have your supplies ready & organized, have some good music going and some snacks (things that won't get their fingers dirty like doritos or greasy so your projects won't get messed up) and maybe some fun adult beverages if that fits your group. The converation will fill in the rest.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards