September 2014 Weddings

Ceremony/Reception at Same Venue - Logistics?

Hi Everyone, We are planning our ceremony and reception at the same venue and the more I think about it, I'm wondering about the logistics of it all. The venue is a large ballroom, and one portion of the ballroom will be closed off for the ceremony to take place. However, do you think it will be awkward for guests to just move right next door for the reception? And how would you time the ceremony and reception? For example, I was thinking that we could do a 4pm ceremony followed by a social hour with dinner at 6pm? If anyone has been to a wedding with a ceremony and reception at the same venue, I'd love to hear what you thought. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated while we try to plan the flow of events!

Re: Ceremony/Reception at Same Venue - Logistics?

• I don't think it's awkward at all! My FI and I were just at a wedding like this two weeks ago, and it was gorgeous! 

Their wedding was called for 6:30pm, and got started closer to 7pm. The ceremony was only about 30 minutes long. Right after they had a cocktail hour with a martini bar in one part of the room, and a regular open bar in the other part. This allowed the guests to mingle and enjoy a cocktail while the rest of the ballroom opened up. Dinner wasn't too long after that, I'd say around 8:00pm is when they brought out the salad. As soon as the room opened up, some guests went and sat down at their table as there wasn't any other seating available.

I wouldn't wait too long in between the ceremony and the reception, I'd say 45min-1hr max in between the ceremony and the reception, as it's best to keep a good flow going.

Congratulations! I'm sure your wedding will be lovely!
  • Thanks for the reply, moeseytoes! I definitely agree that it's best to keep the flow going and not have guests waiting around between the ceremony and reception. I think we'll probably start the reception immediately following the ceremony and serve dinner about an hour after. If anyone else has anything else to add, please do!
  • I agree with moesey that it won't be awkward.  I made it a point to book the ceremony and reception in the same venue because I wanted to ensure that my guests wouldn't have to travel excessively or deal with a gap in the event schedule.
  • I'm going w/ the reception and ceremony at the same venue. It's convenient and like Nitro said, no gap and no traffic to think about.

I haven't booked a venue yet, b/c they all fall short somewhere. Ceremony is usually 30-45m...its all up to you. Cocktail hour after, then reception.
    Not sure where you are located, but here in NY, on average, catering halls are offering 5hr event. some offered 6.

personally, I want to get married outdoors...then cocktail. then have the guest step into the reception wow'd.
    Some places have space for indoor just in case of the weather, which is a plus. I really don't want to have the ceremony in the same room as the reception. They would do the turn around during cocktail hr. 
    I hope I find some place soon.
  • The cocktail hour helps with the transition.  If you have a separate space available you can funnel folks there for a drink and then back into the ballroom for the reception.  It helps to give the illusion of a separate ceremony and reception.  
    photo a9462148-4aa2-44d9-90ce-7f8b4d94b393_zps20ae9070.jpg
  • I have been to a wedding where it was set up similar to yours. the main difference being that your venue actually has a split set up (which is great). the wedding i went to took two hours to set up and being where it was located did not leave enough option to go anywhere (and cocktail hour was non existant. If there is a smooth transition which it seems like there will be you should be fine.
  • Thanks for the replies everyone. My mind is a little more at ease now! :)
  • Just going to chime in that I'm in the same boat. The venue manager explained the switcheroo, said "this is how we do it" and even though it didn't totally make sense to me (I'm a visual person and had a hard time getting it), I chose to trust her judgement. It's her venue, that's how they manage it, that's how other events were done, and sounds like it works just fine.  Trust! 

• Not awkward at all!  I think it sounds perfectly convenient.  Just keep the time in between as short as possible I suppose.  An hour at most.
  • Your venue should be able to quote you a time for the switch based on how many dinner tables they have to set up.  For us it was 90 seconds per table, so if we have 30 tables that's 45 minutes.  Then they can give additional set up time for buffet tables, cake table, or whatever else you have.  Venues that do these kinds of switches a lot have it down to a science.  
    photo a9462148-4aa2-44d9-90ce-7f8b4d94b393_zps20ae9070.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards