Getting in Shape

10 weeks out. I procrastinated. :( Anyone in the same boat? Opinions?

Hey all - I was *so motivated* at the 6 month mark - had met with a personal trainer, was going to the gym 3-4 times a week. 

Then summer hit and between trips which made exercising difficult and the heat here in AZ, I lost 3 of the 6 months I had planned to really watch calories and work out. 

Now I'm at 10 weeks and am so mad at myself! I don't have a ton of weight to lose - I'd be happy with about 5 lbs, to reach my goal weight, but I would really like to look a lot more toned than I am. Between now and the wedding I'm doing the couch to 5k program, interspersed with 3 gym days when I'll do upper body focused lifting and some more cardio. And I'm going to try to keep myself at about a 250 calorie deficit each day which should help a little weight come off. 

Is there anything else I should be doing at this point? Is it worth all this extra effort right at the end? 

Re: 10 weeks out. I procrastinated. :( Anyone in the same boat? Opinions?

• My wedding is 3.5 months away, and I am also wondering how to stay motivated, and how to set realistic goals. I purchased my dress over a year ago, and am scared to try it on! Losing 5-10 pounds would make a huge difference for me, but I don't know whether that's realistic.

I use the free online USDA supertracker to keep track of calories and exercise, but I'm not a person who goes to the gym (though I have had bridesmaids and family members offer to bring me as their guest!) I exercise at home, using exercise videos interspersed with my own routines.

Maybe going back to the personal trainer could be your answer, Ojitos. Did you feel your frequent gym visits helped, as far as holding yourself accountable? It can be so easy to slack off exercising alone, at home...
  • allisonny said:
    My wedding is 3.5 months away, and I am also wondering how to stay motivated, and how to set realistic goals. I purchased my dress over a year ago, and am scared to try it on! Losing 5-10 pounds would make a huge difference for me, but I don't know whether that's realistic.

I use the free online USDA supertracker to keep track of calories and exercise, but I'm not a person who goes to the gym (though I have had bridesmaids and family members offer to bring me as their guest!) I exercise at home, using exercise videos interspersed with my own routines.

Maybe going back to the personal trainer could be your answer, Ojitos. Did you feel your frequent gym visits helped, as far as holding yourself accountable? It can be so easy to slack off exercising alone, at home...
    I hear you about the dress worries! Although you may want to go ahead and try it on, that way you know if there are any areas that you might want to focus on more. 

As far as staying motivated - in my case the motivation isn't a problem because I'm pretty darn motivated right now (I am physically the laziest person - so me working out 5-6 times a week is a freaking Christmas miracle!) ... but like you, I just don't know what expectations are realistic, and that can be frustrating. To answer your question, yes going to the gym really helped with accountability. I've tried working out at home, and I always end up sitting on the couch, watching the videos in fast forward and giggling. ;) Also when I'm exercising regularly, I lose my appetite for bad foods as well, and make better choices. 

I've also read lots and lots that weight loss has way more to do with watching calories than it does exercise, so let's keep our fingers crossed that being really disciplined will pay off in the next 10 - 14 weeks for us!  

I think your 5-10 lbs are definitely doable in the time you have! And you might consider a trainer/nutritionist, too. It's super helpful for me to have a "plan" to follow - that in itself gives me a goal and it pushes me to do my workouts/count calories even when I don't feel like it. 

WebRep
    currentVote
    noRating
    noWeight
  • I live in AZ too!  It's been so hard to stay on track this summer, it's hard when we can't get outside and exercise.  Last weekend we got up at 6:30 and walked, that wasn't too bad out.  Hopefully it starts cooling off soon!

I think diet is the key.  Do you use any tracking tools like My Fitness Pal or anything?  If I can stick to tracking I usually see results.

We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • ktbabe530 said:
    I live in AZ too!  It's been so hard to stay on track this summer, it's hard when we can't get outside and exercise.  Last weekend we got up at 6:30 and walked, that wasn't too bad out.  Hopefully it starts cooling off soon!

I think diet is the key.  Do you use any tracking tools like My Fitness Pal or anything?  If I can stick to tracking I usually see results.

Yes - so ready for it to cool down!!! It's supposed to be up to almost 100 degrees again by the end of this weekend. Blech. Good for you for getting up so early! I just can't force myself out of bed early enough to run before work, so I'm stuck either doing it at the gym or in the evenings. 

I am using a tracking tool - I've heard great things about My Fitness Pal, although I use ActivTrax to track calories since it's tied to my lifting plan at the Y, and I can easily add my cardio, too. 
  • I'm in the same exact position. Three months out and really just need to get toned. But with my schedule + the FL heat its SO hard!!
  • I did close to the same thing. I worked out hard January through June then skipped July and most of August. With my wedding at the end of October I just recommitted myself and went to bootcamp as much as I could and eliminated all processed foods and carbs. I also gave up alcohol. The weight literally melted off. You can do it!
  • Thanks, @ZeroOrchestra! I wanted to check back in and say I've been very disciplined this last month- I've lost a 2-3 lbs, and there is a noticeable difference in my muscle tone. My mom was in town for my shower last weekend and commented that "gosh your arms look good!". So even if you're within three months of the wedding, it's worth it to watch what we eat and work out! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards