Honeymoon Discussions

Tropical Honeymoon Destinations

Hello, We are trying to narrow down a tropical honeymoon destination for May 2014 and are having trouble because of course all of the pictures look beautiful! Here are our priorities for a destination: - Safe...we want to be able to safely venture outside of the resort. - Things to do on the island other than water sports (historical sites, shopping, etc.) - All inclusive availability - Transportation on the island without having to rent a car Any suggestions? Thanks!

Re: Tropical Honeymoon Destinations

• Well it's not an island, but Riviera Maya has what you're looking for. If you can afford it, I'd look into Thailand or Palma de Mallorca. If you go to P de M, you're a quick trip away from Barcelona which has tons of history and site seeing.
    *********************************************************************************

• We're doing Puerto Rico. It has historical sites, shopping and such. I think there's some all inclusive places...my fiance is booking the honeymoon so I'm not 100% sure. We will be renting a car though cause my research says if we want reliable ways to travel around the island that's the best option.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Bermuda!!

The public transportation is awesome! DH & I bought passes and took the bus and ferry everywhere.

• I'd say Puerto Rico would be a good fit, but there's no traditional AI's there (which if you want to get off resort and around the island, it might be a waste to pay for an AI anyways).  We did rent a car for 2 days while we were there to do activities in other areas, but it's not necessary.

The only other place I've been that meets that criteria would be Roatan.  Also the same with no traditional AI's, but a little more-so than PR.  We didn't need a car there at all and only once did we need a taxi. 
  • I don't remember any of the islands being all that unsafe.  I do remember that Aruba had an easy to use public bus system. 

In Puerto Rico the resorts are away from old San Juan where you will find the history & culture.

Cancun has plenty of taxis no need for a rental car.

• Curacao is a very safe island and has a really interesting history (pirates, trade, slavery, etc.).  I think there are AI's.  The downtown area is really pretty (like a pastel Amsterdam) with lots of shops. 

Aruba is also safe and pretty.  Puerto Rico has some interesting history and is safe.  Unfortunately, it doesn't have any AI's. 

• There are certainly lots to choose from, so perhaps sharing your budget will help!

• Puerto Rico!! There's historical forts to visit, the old town (San Juan), the El Yunque rain forest, the beaches. You also do not require a passport to travel there. I have family there, so I am a little partial to PR but it really is a neat place!
    1385876 10200959833108451 1467805166 n
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards