Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Alternatives to cake?

I hate the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on a cake.  Absolutely hate it.  I'm spending thousands on food and such, and I really don't see the need to spend yet more on a cake.  Budget isn't an issue here - FI and I can afford it and my parents are helping too - I just despise the idea of spending that much when I can make a cake that I enjoy perfectly well for about $2 (obviously, I'm not the type of person who really cares about ornate decorations and such).  I also haven't seen any cake designs that really appeal to me, and I don't want to pay for something that I don't particularly like.

So, what are some less expensive alternatives?  Are cupcakes any less expensive than traditional tiered cakes? I hear that sometimes people do a small cake for the traditional cake cutting, then sheet cakes for everyone else; is that considered acceptable?

Re: Alternatives to cake?

• Options

From my research, cupcakes end up being just as expensive as your standard wedding cake. I think doing a small cake to cut traditionally and sheet cakes in the back is fine AS LONG AS it is the exact same cake and same quality. As long as it's all the same cake, I don't care what form it comes in.

Otherwise, you could look into other desserts completely. Dessert bars, brownies, cookies, sundae bar, etc. You don't have to cut a cake at your wedding.

• Options
    We looked into going with cupcakes and we found them to be about $4/ea and cakes being about $10/pp. If you aren't interested in a cake i'd just go with cupcakes. I agree with PP, sheet cake in the back is acceptable. Also, you can do a cake pop tier.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Oh and also sometimes venues/caterers offer deserts as part of a package.
  • Options
    Cupcakes are typically just as much, if not more, than regular cakes. It's perfectly fine to do a small cake and serve sheet cake behind the scenes. 

Other alternatives to cake include a dessert buffet or plated desserts. I.e., I went to a wedding where in lieu of cake, everyone got a dessert plate with a chocolate covered strawberry, an edible chocolate box of mousse, and something else I can't remember. It was awesome! 

Depending on when your wedding is, you could play with the time of year. I.e., if you're having a fall wedding you could serve pie instead. 
  • Options
    We did cupcakes, they were $2.50 each versus $5+ per slice of cake. It really depends on the baker whether it's cheaper or not. 

You could cut a small cake and serve sheet cakes. You could just order standard 10 or 12inch cakes and lay them out nicely on a table, or use them as a center piece on each table. 

Or you could serve a different sort of dessert altogether. Brownies, cookies, pies, ice cream sundae bar-whatever you like.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!  I guess the biggest problem with sheet cakes "behind the scenes" is that there really isn't a "behind the scenes" area at our venue.  It's basically an enclosed pavilion, so all one big room.  Everything we have will be out for everyone to see. 

It's interesting that some of your responses say that cupcakes are just as much as regular cake, while others say they are much cheaper!  I guess I'll have to check with some local bakers about that. 

I kind of like the idea of cookies... maybe I'll look into that a little bit. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!  I guess the biggest problem with sheet cakes "behind the scenes" is that there really isn't a "behind the scenes" area at our venue.  It's basically an enclosed pavilion, so all one big room.  Everything we have will be out for everyone to see. 

It's interesting that some of your responses say that cupcakes are just as much as regular cake, while others say they are much cheaper!  I guess I'll have to check with some local bakers about that. 

I kind of like the idea of cookies... maybe I'll look into that a little bit. 
    With the cupcakes, it really depends on the bakery, the size of cupcake, and also if you're just getting one per guest or doing what caterers recommend and getting 1.5 per guest (some guests will only take one, others will take 2 so you should have extras so that you don't have guests who end up with 0).

I've seen pie tables, dessert tables, ice cream bars, etc. at weddings. What's important is that you serve something substantial (not a candy bar - there's a thread on here where almost everyone agrees that just candy isn't enough).

Personally, I don't usually eat cake, cupcakes, cookies, or other baked goods (trying to be healthy) but I always have a piece of cake at weddings because it's a celebration and I get relax on the self-control a little. I wouldn't be very excited about cookies or brownies, but would totally be down for pie or ice cream in lieu of cake. That's just my preference, however.
  • Options
    If you're going to cut cake or any dessert in any form, then you need to serve some form of that dessert of equal or better quality.  There are many options.  It does seem to be a pretty traditional part of a wedding reception and also serves as a signal to the guests that it is okay to leave at that point if guests need to.

• Options
    I hate the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on a cake.  Absolutely hate it.  I'm spending thousands on food and such, and I really don't see the need to spend yet more on a cake.  Budget isn't an issue here - FI and I can afford it and my parents are helping too - I just despise the idea of spending that much when I can make a cake that I enjoy perfectly well for about $2 (obviously, I'm not the type of person who really cares about ornate decorations and such).  I also haven't seen any cake designs that really appeal to me, and I don't want to pay for something that I don't particularly like.

So, what are some less expensive alternatives?  Are cupcakes any less expensive than traditional tiered cakes? I hear that sometimes people do a small cake for the traditional cake cutting, then sheet cakes for everyone else; is that considered acceptable?
    If you don't want to spend hundreds, just get a nicely decorated sheet cake from a grocery store or Costco and call it a day.  People like cake.  They don't care if it has calla lilies dripping off of it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    scribe95 said:
    There are lots of options. I just wanted to pipe up and say many people really look forward to the cake and might be disappointed if it isn't there. I know I would be. Especially if the alternative is just a cookie. It doesn't seem near as special. This is one of those things that if you have the budget for it it would be  nice to have a cake for your guests.
    Meh - I have to disagree here. I think as long as you serve a tasteful dessert, it doesn't have to be cake.

We hired a chocolatier and he made truffles (and a few non-chocolate desserts like mini cheesecakes, key lime pies, pecan bars, etc). It was a huge hit. Whenever we run into guests now, they talk about the chocolate bar. This were DEFINITELY not cheaper than a cake, though... You said budget isn't a concern, so if that's the case this might be a good option. I also made our wedding cake for anyone who wanted cake. Hardly anyone did with the chocolate there. We had a ton of cake leftover and barely any truffles leftover.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    grumbledore said:
    If you don't want to spend hundreds, just get a nicely decorated sheet cake from a grocery store or Costco and call it a day.  People like cake.  They don't care if it has calla lilies dripping off of it.
    I said this, in frustration, to my MOH and she said that she would under no circumstances allow me to do that.  She'd back down if I were insistent enough, but still. 

Maybe I'll just start getting in touch with some local bakers.  I live in central Illinois so things tend to be on the lower end of the price spectrum here.
  • Options
    grumbledore said:
    I said this, in frustration, to my MOH and she said that she would under no circumstances allow me to do that.  She'd back down if I were insistent enough, but still. 

Maybe I'll just start getting in touch with some local bakers.  I live in central Illinois so things tend to be on the lower end of the price spectrum here.
  • Options
    manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013

Dude, have you ever tried a Costco cake?

They are so good!

ETA: grammar things

and, tell MOH it's not her wedding. You shouldn't have to get her to "back down."

• Options
    grumbledore said:

I agree with PDKH.  Some of the best cakes I have had have come from grocery stores.  If your MOH asks just tell her that you got it from a bakery.  You don't have to say that you got it from a grocery store bakery.

• Options
    We looked into going with cupcakes and we found them to be about $4/ea and cakes being about $10/pp. If you aren't interested in a cake i'd just go with cupcakes. I agree with PP, sheet cake in the back is acceptable. Also, you can do a cake pop tier.

Good luck!

grumbledore said:

This is one instance where I will say "it's your day" applies - in that, it is not your MOH's decision.  It's yours.  Do what you think is right, as long as it is thoughtful for your guests.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    PDKH said:

Dude, have you ever tried a Costco cake?

They are so good!

ETA: grammar things

and, tell MOH it's not her wedding. You shouldn't have to get her to "back down."

This. WTF? Your MOH has nothing to do with cake selection. She doesn't need to back down because you're insistent, she needs to back down because it's not her place.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

I have seen the following at weddings I have attended:

• A cheesecake bar with DIY toppings for plain cheesecake AND cherries jubilee with a sparkler and staff dancing presentation.  Both tasted great but just one would have been enough dessert for me.
    • Ice cream sundae bar and cookie table
    • A small cake, cheesecake and Krispy Kreme donut cake
    • Cookie table with a decent number of cake pops added in
    • We did serve yourself choice of cake, cheesecake or chocolate cake and cookie table

Cookie tables are the tradition in Pittsburgh and be cost effective even if store bought (not only does Costco make great cake, their cookies are good too).  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/16/dining/16cookies.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

As a rule of thumb for cookie tables figure 4 cookies per guest, more if take home favor boxes are provided.

• Options
    Unfortunately for us, the nearest Costco is ~90 miles away, which is too bad because I've seen so many recommendations for Costco cakes!  I did just find out that County Market does do wedding cakes, though, and we have tons of them in my area.  Definitely will do some investigation there.
  • Options
    Also, to everyone getting indignant at my MOH, it's my fault for asking for her opinion.  So please go easy on her. :-)

• Options
    Also, to everyone getting indignant at my MOH, it's my fault for asking for her opinion.  So please go easy on her. :-)

• Options

• Options
    Whoops, sorry for the triple post everyone... this comment system is wonky sometimes, at least for me.
  • Options

I'm getting married in December (destination) and foregoing the cake altogether - we put that part of our budget toward a beach bonfire with a s'mores bar because we thought that sounded a heck of a lot more memorable than a piece of cake. I say, if you decide against traditional then go in a totally different direction - driven by the overall vibe of your wedding. Depending on the venue, season and time of day, cookies/brownies, a pie selection, ice cream bar, donut tower or dessert coffee station could all be fun.  I love doing something that is kind of interactive and gives people choices. You will absolutely have some guests who miss the cake - but many more will love the novelty and creativity of something different - and that will be what they are talking about later.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards