August 2014 Weddings
Options

open Bar vs cash bar vs. ?

Our budget is $5000 due to paying back the lovely Sallie Mae! We are considering buying our own alcohol and when it runs out..well you pay for your own. im not worried because my family is full of non drinking Christians but his not so much. Hes a little worried that we may run out and since his family will consist of ALL out of towners he doesnt want them to pay. We're kinda stuck on this one...any ideas?

Re: open Bar vs cash bar vs. ?

• Options
    Is offering beer and wine only an option? Those are usually cheaper. If budget allows it, you might still be able to have some sort of (premixed) signature drinks for the cocktail hour or the entire reception. Or skip alcohol all together, but don't have a cash bar. It's really rude to make your guests pay for drinks. 
  • Options
    im not sure my answer will fit in with etiquette or appropriate because i know we're doing it differently than i've ever seen it done... we're having a casual daytime picnic bbq reception, with literally ice chests lined up like you'd see at any other outdoor beach, park or backyard party, they will all be filled with beer, soda, iced tea, gatorade, and bottled water, and if we need something else as the day goes on, we'll send someone to the store! and all of our friends will be completely fine with it that way. there is no rule that says you have to supply unlimited amounts of alcohol for everyone all night long. i would set a budget and supply what you can afford, and then do a cash bar for the late night partyiers who want one or 2 more. :) that's my 2 cents.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KRD2014 said:
    im not sure my answer will fit in with etiquette or appropriate because i know we're doing it differently than i've ever seen it done... we're having a casual daytime picnic bbq reception, with literally ice chests lined up like you'd see at any other outdoor beach, park or backyard party, they will all be filled with beer, soda, iced tea, gatorade, and bottled water, and if we need something else as the day goes on, we'll send someone to the store! and all of our friends will be completely fine with it that way. there is no rule that says you have to supply unlimited amounts of alcohol for everyone all night long. i would set a budget and supply what you can afford, and then do a cash bar for the late night partyiers who want one or 2 more. :) that's my 2 cents.
    You're right, this doesn't fit in with good etiquette or what is appropriate. Your casual reception sounds great, but "casual" isn't an excuse to disregard etiquette. And to the bolded, being a good host means that if you're going to provide something, do it right and consistently. 

OP, please do not have a cash bar. The purpose of a wedding reception is to thank guests for coming to your wedding. Asking them to pay for anything is inappropriate. There are alcohol calculators on the internet - google it to help you estimate what you'll need. And I believe places like Binny's will allow you to return unopened cases of beer or wine. It's totally okay to only offer some alcoholic options - like beer, wine and a signature drink or two. Or just beer and wine. You don't have to go over budget to provide everyone with shots, but please make sure that you have enough of whatever you decide to provide. You wouldn't invite 200 people, then buy a cake that will serve 100 because it's less expensive and say, "Welp, too bad everyone else. Cake ran out. Go get your own", would you?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I Iike the idea of beer, wine, and a signature drink. Is it possible to have the "bar" for a shorter time. Ie as opposed to 4 hours do 3? Also is doing house brands an option by the time they've had enough drinks the brand won't matter. It's definitely a tough decision. Me and my future husband like to drink so we're stuck with a $31 per person tab for alcohol, which is also why I'm trimming my guest list is that an option?
  • Options
    I disagree that it's rude to offer a cash bar. I've been to plenty of weddings where there was a cash bar and I wasn't offended at all.  You know what you can and cannot afford.  We are having a cash bar because even providing just beer and wine or a signature cocktail didn't fit in our budget. I think you have to do what works for you and what you can afford.
  • Options
    This post has some great advice about cash bars and other options if you cannot afford a whole open bar-

• Options
    Please don't do a cash bar of any type.  Hosting a limited bar is fine, but expecting your guests to open their wallets at your wedding is rude...please see the post above if you have not already.
  • Options
    I'm pretty excited that we just booked our venue which allows us to stock our own bar!  No cash bars allowed, has to be open bar, but this way it is more affordable!  
  • Options
    If you're stocking your own, pay attention to liquor prices in your state vs others if you live near a border.  I live in PA (from NY originally) and buy all my liquor for PA in NY...as long as it's not for resale, it's generally legal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards