Florida-South Florida
Options

Desperate Bride....Please help me!

I am doing a DIY wedding for 40-45 people on 2/22/14 (5 months!). The reason for the DIY is because I can't afford a planner.

I am almost in the process of finding the venue. I have the save the date, invitations, bridesmaids dresses and stuff together designed.

The biggest problem is the reception. Unfortunately, I don't have that big binder of stuff I should have been collecting while I was teen.

I don't know what should be one the table, what type of flowers, how to set up a table, or the itinerary for the reception.  In addition, the day of the wedding, I can't be the one making sure everything gets done, I have to get ready!

Question #1: How can I make this work?

Question #2: Is there a person I can get to make sure the furniture gets in the right place, and décor is set without the huge cost?

Question #3: Is there anyone you know in south Florida I could ask for a low price?

Please help. I'm freaking out and feel like giving up.

Thanks.

Re: Desperate Bride....Please help me!

• Options
    If you are still looking for a venue, try Bimini Boatyard in Fort Lauderdale,  They are perfect for groups of 80 and under and have a couple of options for ceremony and reception, plus, super reasonable prices and outstanding food.  Patti, who takes care of their parties is wonderful and will do a great job of taking a lot of those stress items off your shoulders. As for flowers, you can go to Dollar Tree for glass cylinder vases and put a hydrangea ($5.00-10.00 each) and a couple of roses with some baby's breath in each one, surround that with some votives (Dollar Tree again) and centerpieces are done. Takes about 1 hour to assemble and 5 min to put on tables. That may leave you with enough money to get professionally done bouquets. Call Ft. Lauderdale Art Institute and see if they have any students who'd like to make a few dollars for the day.  
    Next, take a deep breath and realize that the wedding is not the marriage and people who attend really just want you to be happy and are there to share your joy.
  • Options

Right about 5 months or so before our wedding, which is in 2 weeks, I had a bit of freak out moment.  I had thought I was doing good with the planning and all the sudden I was petrified that I wasn't going to be able to get it all done.  I bought a notebook that would fit in my purse and it has become my wedding bible.  I sectioned it off so that it would be easier to keep track of what needed to be done [ceremony, clothing, gifts, reception (or decor/flowers,etc.), bridal party, etc].   If I needed to do something, I wrote it in the appropriate section.  If I made a call, I put my notes in there.  That really has helped me prioritize and realize what was essential to get done (things like the seating chart) and what wasn't (a custom made card box - you can just buy a card cage for $10).  Just find what works for you.  

As for "Question #2: Is there a person I can get to make sure the furniture gets in the right place, and décor is set without the huge cost?"  lean on your family and friends.  Find a friend or family member (who is not in the bridal party) who cares about your day and who you know wants it to be as wonderful as you.  Ask them to help you be a pseudo planner for the day because it is impossible for you to oversee the details that day.  Chances are one of them will be happy to help you.  I asked one of my friends to do this because I know she is very detailed and will make sure my vision is carried out. 

You will get through it and it will all work out. 
  • Options

There is a really nice restaurant in Coconut Grove, The Peacock Garden Cafe.  The food is delicious, it has a tropical setting, can accomodate smaller groups, and their prices are reasonable.  For the tables, instead of using flowers, you could place a tall lantern with candle inside and maybe some greenery (ivy or rosemary stems).  All you need is a family friend to bring the items to the restaurant a few hours before.  I hope this helps you, and remember that less is more. 

• Options
    Abel-I love the lantern idea.  Who sells them at a reasonable price?

• Options
    I just had my wedding and I also nixed floral centerpieces due to pricing. I have attached photos of my wedding centerpieces that a guest took. I had battery operated lanterns placed on top of a mirror and surround by votives I made. I live now in Illinois but I have a friend with all the stuff below. She will sell it to ypu at a reasonable price. If you want you can pm me to get her contact.

But if you want to do it on your own, the Two Crafty Mules has instructions on how to make the votives. I didn't used roses as they instructed, instead I used peonies. And the lanterns, I bought online. I can't remember but if I find it, I will post where I bought them.
    SoFla September Siggy - Hair Inspiration imageimage
  • Options

Lauderdale Pink....I have seen tall lanterns with good prices at Home Goods and Marshalls.

• Options
    Thanks all for great advice. I am going to look into these things for ideas
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards