Wedding Party
Options

Do I have to do this?

I'm going on a bachelorette weekend, and the bride/MOH decided it would be sooooo funny for the bridesmaids to wear thrifted 80s bridesmaids dresses out to classy places. Am I obligated, as a part of the wedding party, to do this?

Re: Do I have to do this?

• Options
    Ew. No. There's no realm in which I would do that. I'm assuming you haven't been asked, but more voluntold?
  • Options
    KeptInStitches the dress was bought for me after I said "oh, I guess I'll just blend into the background with my plain black dress"

• Options
    Wow. I'd "accidently" leave the dress at home. But I have what might kindly be termed as a problem with authority. (Well, not authority, but with being told what to do.)
  • Options
    KeptInStitches  bride has it in her posession, maybe it can fly out the window?

• Options
    Damnit! What a wrinkle ... is there any way it "won't fit?"
  • Options

@KeptInStitches

I'm 5'5 and a size 4, so there's a good chance it will be too big/long, but I think that would only add to the "silliness/funniness/happy joy" of it all.

• Options
    In all seriousness, I'd go with "I'm afraid that won't be possible," "No," or the sweetest, most innocent, most sincere "Why would I want to do that?" that I could muster. I wouldn't wear the dress, especially if it wasn't something I'd already wear in public.
  • Options

I already literally said "NOOOOOOO".

Maybe she thought I was kidding. I don't know.

• Options
    My itty-bitty foot would go down. No. You could say that her photos won't be very much fun to look at if you look pissed off because you're in something you don't want to be wearing ... (saw that this was from Pinterest)
  • Options

I'd compromise and wear it for some pictures before leaving the house/hotel/getting ready place.

Then I would change into my regular clothes.

I don't leave the house in costume, unless it's halloween.

• Options
    itzMS said:

I'd compromise and wear it for some pictures before leaving the house/hotel/getting ready place.

This.

I'd phrase as "it's a cute idea, but I'm just not comfortable with it. I'll wear an LBD so I don't stand out and the focus is on you ladies."

I totally would feel the same. For my own bachelorette I only kept the crown on out of guilt. I felt so awkward!
  • Options

This. I'd phrase as "it's a cute idea, but I'm just not comfortable with it. I'll wear an LBD so I don't stand out and the focus is on you ladies." I totally would feel the same. For my own bachelorette I only kept the crown on out of guilt. I felt so awkward!
    This. They definitely can't make you wear something. That's a really stupid idea. 
  • Options

I think you should get her an awful thrifted wedding gown, and tell her you'll only wear your dress if she wears her. I bet it won't be quite as cute or as much fun then!

• Options
    OP I don't know where you are, but the only place I would be ok wearing that would be to "Awesome 80's Prom" in NYC (similar idea to "Tony and Tina's Wedding"). Otherwise...no. 

P.S. I am dying to go to Awesome 80's Prom. 
  • Options

Update, we went out and got stared at/laughed at/looked like general idiots. I was sober so I actually realized this. I did manage to lose my sash, mask, and penis ring (whoops).

I guess all that matters is that the bride to be looked beautiful and had fun. And the creepy guys stayed away from me, at least.

• Options
    @kefryar - no creepy guys are always a plus... I think you a very nice friend for doing that for the bride!

Anniversary
  • Options
    kefryar said:

Update, we went out and got stared at/laughed at/looked like general idiots. I was sober so I actually realized this. I did manage to lose my sash, mask, and penis ring (whoops).

I guess all that matters is that the bride to be looked beautiful and had fun. And the creepy guys stayed away from me, at least.

OMG, props to you for doing that.  Also, pictures or it didn't happen (although I'd recommend cropping these particular kind to avoid infamy).
  • Options
    Huh?  Is this a thing now?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

Huh?  Is this a thing now?

I hope not.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards