Wedding Invitations & Paper

RSVP by...?

Im not sure how far out I would like guest to rsvp to our wedding. Any thoughts?

Re: RSVP by...?

• I've read online a few times it should be about 4-6 weeks away from the actual wedding. I did read 2 wks also which is crazy to me! I'm going to do 6 wks exactly, just to give me a better head count and enough time to inform the venue and the seating chart, my insanity etc. I personally think a month is too close :) also if you do the date too far out, there's the possibility of people forgetting to RSVP! But if people don't RSVP by maybe 2-3 wks before, I will call them myself and check so I don't end up with un-rsvp'd guests!
  • This all depends on when your venue needs to know the count.  For me, my wedding date is 9/21. The count was needed 9/11 so we did an RSVP date of 9/5 which gave us 6 days to track people down.  We waited until after the mail arrived on 9/6 and we only had 5% of our guest list to talk to at that point so within a couple days it was taken care of.  You don't need more than a few days to contact guests.
  • Invitations are supposed to be sent 6-8 weeks before the wedding. You should give people a couple of weeks to figure out work schedules, babysitting, travel, etc. so I would say at the most 4 weeks before the wedding. Depending on when your venue needs numbers 2 weeks before the event would probably be preferable. Not everyone knows what they are doing a month from now. 2 weeks will still give you plenty of time to track down stragglers and make a seating chart.
  • j-harveyj-harvey member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2013
  • Ditto pp. find out when your vendors need their final count. Most caterers are like 2 wks, then give yourself a few days for straggler RSVPs to come in and a few days for you to call. We did about 10 days earlier than when our caterer needed our final count.

• You should ask for RSVPs about 2-3 weeks before your wedding day. Don't go any further out than a month. 
    *********************************************************************************

• We set our RSVP date for about 4 weeks before the wedding.
  • I'd say somewhere between 2 and 4 weeks, depending on what your vendors need.  4 weeks should be your outer limit though.
  • Back up about a week from the date you need a final count.  For most people, that's 2-3 weeks ahead of the wedding.  

Anything earlier than a month in advance is rude.  You can't ask people to commit that far in advance.  
  • Birdie344 said:
    I've read online a few times it should be about 4-6 weeks away from the actual wedding. I did read 2 wks also which is crazy to me! I'm going to do 6 wks exactly, just to give me a better head count and enough time to inform the venue and the seating chart, my insanity etc. I personally think a month is too close :) also if you do the date too far out, there's the possibility of people forgetting to RSVP! But if people don't RSVP by maybe 2-3 wks before, I will call them myself and check so I don't end up with un-rsvp'd guests!
    Wherever you read that, it's wrong, and that's crazy. Invitations themselves shouldn't go out more than 6 to 8 weeks in advance of the wedding; RSVPs shouldn't be needed back more than 3 weeks in advance. Our RSVP deadline is 17 days before our wedding. That's more than enough time to track down missing RSVPs, get a final headcount to the caterer, and draw up the seating chart. 

Find out when your venue/caterer/cake person/whomever needs a final headcount, and back up a week to at most 10 days from that. That's your RSVP deadline. The week to 10-day cushion between when you ask for the RSVPs to be returned by and when you actually need to give a headcount to anyone is your cushion to round up stragglers.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • edited September 2013
    My RSVPs were due on the 1st of the month... I finally had a correct head count on the 9th ( late people, people that all of a sudden couldnt come after they said yes they were attending!!).  I gave my reception place my number on the 11th of the month and they needed it by the 14th.  My wedding  is on the 28th of this month
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards