Snarky Brides

Guest List Rant (long)

This is the first time posting and I just need to blow off steam. It's five days till the wedding. Everything was going so smoothly. We have it all lined up and good to go. The only irritating thing is that we have guests backing out last minute and some other awkward situations which I will explain shortly. 

First off, with good reason my great Aunt and Uncle will probably not be attending the wedding. Their daughter is due to have twin girls this week. It's sad that they may not be there but it's also wonderful to have healthy twins coming into the family.

Second. My Uncle (mothers brother), who has been there for everything has suddenly decided to back out. He says that it's because he hasn't seen his family in a long time, but he'll be spending the next two weeks with them. My mother has offered to pay to bring them all out to where I am getting married (flight and hotel), but he hasn't responded to that offer. My mother is angry, betrayed and heart broken. She is starting to think my uncle just wants to go hunting. He is my favorite uncle and I'll be sad about him not being there. (Originally it was just going to be him attending even though we invited his whole family. They have some money constraints making it hard to travel. Maybe that is the issue and he just doesn't want to admit it...hmm...)

And third. This one takes the dramatic wedding cake in my family. Last June I went to see my Grandpa and Step Grandmother. My Grandpa threw a party for the whole family and my step Uncle (son of Step Grandma) and his wife were there. Grandpa had told them the date of the wedding a few months before and they said they'll be in Germany for Oktoberfest. Okay, I understood at that point. Last weekend I find out that they aren't leaving til a few days after the wedding and that on Friday (when we are having the rehearsal dinner) they will be having their annual Oktoberfest party (catered with German music and crazy outfits). They invited my Grandpa and he called them asking "What gives?" They acted confused and said they thought the wedding was when they were in Germany. I'm actually wondering if they're just going to great lengths to avoid his Mother (step grandma) because she's been... showing favorites with her children for years. I wasn't a favorite grand daughter, but her bilogical daughters children are angels and get special privileges like being invited to go swimming at the community pool etc. Basically there is a rift in my family and it makes me angry and sad. It's the ONLY time I get upset over the wedding. 

That all being said, I am happy that at the end of the day I will be married to my goober of a fiance and celebrating with my awesome guests that were able to make it to my wedding. Thank you for letting me rant. I don't really need advice, I think I'm just gonna let things go and move forward with my marriage and life. Hopefully this is the end of any wedding related drama. Otherwise Mom-zilla will blow a gasket. Poor thing. 

Re: Guest List Rant (long)

• Sucky. Sorry about the family drama, but at least you have your head on straight. Is there maybe any way you could negotiate for small upgrades with your venue?
  • I think I'll actually use it for more wine and a late night snack of "gourmet" sliders and fries. It's a good way to curb the effects of drinking. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards