Wedding Reception Forum
Options

dancing at the reception

Re: dancing at the reception

• Options
    Yes.

If you yourself don't want to dance beyond three dances, that's fine.  But cutting it off for everyone else, while making them watch your "special" dances, doesn't take your guests' needs into account.

If you're not into dancing, don't have dancing at all.  That's totally okay.  But don't limit the dancing to the ones you do personally if you do decide to have any dancing.
  • Options
    Yes it is weird.

Just because you do not like to dance does not mean that your guests feel the same way.  My Dad doesn't like cheese but just because he paid for the reception doesn't mean that he didn't allow cheese in the food.

Also I would strongly urge you to limit your spot light dances.  You can certainly have a special dance with your brother but I wouldn't make everyone stop what they are doing to watch.

• Options
    I am not one for dancing.. Its not that I don't like it or don't approve, I just have zero ability to dance and thus find it not too fun.. However, I always wanted a first dance and a father-daughter dance, and possibly one with my brother, at my wedding..

So my question is: would it be weird to have just the 2 or 3 traditional/significant dances and then nothing else?
    Wierd, selfish and rude wrapped into one. 

Like pp pointed out, just because you don't like to dance, doesn't mean your guests don't. 

If you don't want to have dancing, that is fine.  Please don't make your guests sit through multiple spotlight dances with no opportunity to dance themselves. Its like having a cake cutting ceremony, then not offering any of the cake to your guests.  Rude, rude, rude!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    grumbledoregrumbledore member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013
    I am not one for dancing.. Its not that I don't like it or don't approve, I just have zero ability to dance and thus find it not too fun.. However, I always wanted a first dance and a father-daughter dance, and possibly one with my brother, at my wedding..

So my question is: would it be weird to have just the 2 or 3 traditional/significant dances and then nothing else?
    Yes, it's weird and your guests will probably...

1)  Be annoyed;
    2)  Be bored;
    3)  Leave very early.

If you are cool with that, then sure.  It's not rude exactly, but I know I wouldn't stay long.

(Edited for clarity)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm just not sure how one fills the time at a wedding without dancing. Perhaps it could work; I'd be interested to hear ideas on how to otherwise keep guests entertained. Either way, I wouldn't have dancing for you and yours alone, with no such opportunity provided for your guests. Either go all in or all out, but if I were you, I'd go all in.
  • Options
    Maybe she meant she wanted the traditional dances and because she doesn't have the ability- she would not dance to anything else- in which case, I think that's totally acceptable. This bride can spend more time interacting and taking in her surroundings. 

• Options
    Good call @LiLe422 for quoting OP.   Also, I agree with the PPs about how weird, confusing for the guests, and rude it would be.  "Okay, so we are going to do a few dances, and after that, everyone stay off the dance floor!"
  • Options
    Weirdest DD ever.  No one was even mean.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Weirdest DD ever.  No one was even mean.
    I really think that some posters when they receive an answer to their question delete it because they got their answer.  It doesn't make any sense but in my mind their thinking is "Well, I got my answer so no need to leave the question up."

• Options
    Weird.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Strange DD. In case the OP is still lurking... If you don't want dancing at your wedding, have a brunch reception, no dance floor, no first/traditional dances, and music that's not conducive to dancing. If I went to a wedding like this, I would not expect anyone to dance at all.

I think it would be strange to do first/traditional dances if a) you don't like to dance and b) you don't want anyone else to dance.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards