Getting in Shape
Options

Shake Q.

Hi Ladies, 

I have been reading a bit on this board, and would love some opinions! I want to infuse a shake into my diet. 
I cannot imagine having only a shake for lunch/dinner (I would do breakfast as a whole meal, BUT I always need my coffee in the AM and that's just too much liquid lol). I am thinking a shake with a snack for lunch to make it more of a "meal" (maybe a snack size of mixed nuts, for instance). 
What is your fav. shake? I would love one that is dairy free, so if you know one, please share!
-Colleen
Wedding Countdown Ticker "Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden where the flowers are dead." - Oscar Wilde

Re: Shake Q.

• Options
    Why? Like.. Seriously.. Why? 

I don't mean this to be snarky.. I am genuinely interested in why you think you need to incorporate (btw, infuse is the wrong word there..:P ) a shake into your diet.

I do a lot of protein shakes because I actually struggle to get all my calories in throughout the day. My shakes are usually Protein powder+banana+almond milk+nut butter+maca and ends up being about 600 calories. If I do this as my breakfast, I actually add my coffee INTO it. Tastes amazing. 

A green or berry smoothie (if made healthfully) could be a great mid afternoon energy and vitamin boost. 

I'm vegan so all my stuff is dairy free, but almond milk and coconut water are my besties. I will throw kale, spinach, random berries, and coconut water in the blender with some vanilla extract and call it good for a 2pm pick-me-up. 
  • Options
    lol. good question!! I definitely do not get enough protein! I feel like all I do is carb load.
    I am trying to cut back on the carbs. something with protein would help. Also, if I could use a blender ball or something @ work, it would be much easier than making lunch in the morning before work (I find I never have the time to set up my meals before the week starts).
    I love that your shake does not have bananas...I forgot to mention it is an allergy and I feel like SOOO many recipes call for bananas! 
    Do you find this keeps you full or it is more for energy?

Wedding Countdown Ticker "Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden where the flowers are dead." - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    I usually do 1 cup frozen fruit (I usually like a berry blend), 1 scoop protein powder, 1TBSP peanut butter, some ice and 1 cup milk (soy or regular works). 

I like it for breakfast or a snack between breakfast and lunch. 
  • Options
    Well if you're avoiding carbs then you should go the shake route. Because veggies and fruits = carbs. Additionally, carbohydrates are what our body uses as energy.. So of course it will give me energy.. It's a bunch of natural sugars (ie, carbs). 

Also, I hate bananas. 

A simple berry smoothie doesn't keep me stuffed by any means, but again. The reason I will make a shake is because I am not taking in enough calories.. SO my goal is NOT to be full. 

How many grams of protein do you get per day? 
  • Options
    I second @firsttimersluck that I use protein shakes to help supplement my nutrition but not a meal replacement. 
  • Options
    *then you shouldn't (not should) my bad. 
  • Options
    Hey ladies - sorry for the slow response. 
    I probably get 40g of protein a day (around that). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards