Jewish Weddings

Will a rabbi co-officiate a ceremony for someone still converting?

My fiance was raised Catholic/Non-Denominational and is without strong religious beliefs but I am currently converting to Judaism. I don't want something over religious to make sure he and his family are comfortable but I would love to have a rabbi at our ceremony. Because I won't be converted at that time, is that even possible? And if so, how much of a Jewish ceremony could we even have? Just some basic readings? I know it won't be much, but it would mean a lot to me.

Re: Will a rabbi co-officiate a ceremony for someone still converting?

• It depends on the rabbi.  Also, you can have a Jewish wedding that is not officiated by a clergy member.  You might want to check out Anita Diamant's "The New Jewish Wedding" to learn more about Jewish wedding rituals.  I found it really helpful when I was planning, and I see it recommended a lot here as well.
  • Generally, a rabbi who is part of a Reform congregation will do an interfaith marriage and will co-officiate.  The Reform Rabbis will do a very nice job of explaining the different aspects of the Jewish ceremony to the guests which makes for a very nice and sentimental ceremony.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards