Gay Weddings

wish to host small shower for gay friends

hi all
I'm looking for ideas for a lesbian couple who have been together for 20 years.  They are FINALLY getting married :) next month:) and a few of us would like to give them a small shower.  Since they have been together for 2 decades, can someone suggest some ideas for gifts?  The shower will just be about 6-10 of us at a local restaurant.  No decorations as they wouldn't like that.  The one bride works in a field where attention to the wedding isn't a good idea at this time. We want to respect her wishes yet still have a bridal shower.
Thanks

Re: wish to host small shower for gay friends

• mum said:
    hi all
    I'm looking for ideas for a lesbian couple who have been together for 20 years.  They are FINALLY getting married :) next month:) and a few of us would like to give them a small shower.  Since they have been together for 2 decades, can someone suggest some ideas for gifts?  The shower will just be about 6-10 of us at a local restaurant.  No decorations as they wouldn't like that.  The one bride works in a field where attention to the wedding isn't a good idea at this time. We want to respect her wishes yet still have a bridal shower.
    Thanks
    If you want to throw a shower, first ask the couple if they're ok with that. They may decline your offer. If they accept your offer, then they'll need to register somewhere so that will tell you exactly what they want. 

If you'd rather do a "no gifts" type of gathering just have a bridal luncheon. If you want to give them a gift you can, but I'd do it privately. If I had been with my SO for 20 years, I'd probably appreciate a nice piece of art (from a friend that knew me well), a unique serving dish, a gift card to a restaurant, etc. 
    *********************************************************************************

• If you feel you must bring something bring a card.
  • I'd say do a formal/casual dinner, gift card, small talk, wedding talk, drinks, and the company of fine friends.

That's what we had and we loved it :)

• I've been working with one of my friends our  wedding shower. We're doing a "Stock the Bar" wedding shower at my friend's house and play Cards Against Humanity. We're opting for collecting wine and spirits instead of getting other kinds of gifts because we really don't much of anything except, well, things we consume a lot. In a restaurant setting, instead of bottles of wine, you could choose some other item that they'll need and use frequently.

Sunday, May 18, 2014 - Baltimore, Maryland

"Each time you love, love as deeply as if it were forever" - Audre Lorde

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards