New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Wedding Insurance

Hello! I'm planning my May 2014 wedding and the concept of purchasing wedding insurance came up in the planning process. I've never heard of this and don't know anyone that has purchased it for their wedding. From the little bit of research I did about it, it seems there are two separate components - coverage for cancellation (due to illness, hurricane, etc.) and coverage for liability (someone gets hurt at the wedding). Does anyone have experience with this or thoughts about it? I'm not entirely sure it's necessary, but some of the insurance sites are giving the argument - you pay a lot for your car and you insure it, why wouldn't you protect the money you've put into your wedding? It's a sales pitch, I know, but what do you think?
Thanks!
Peg

Re: Wedding Insurance

• Options

I'm going to buy it. It seems like you can get the cancellation and a fair amount of liability for a few hundred dollars. When we are spending in the 10s of thousands, a few hundred on the off chance something catastrophic happens seems like a good idea to me.

I haven't bought it yet though because I did notice that some cover the rehearsal dinner as well, so I'm waiting until we pin that down to purchase insurance.

Also, my fiance and I are only apartment renters, but I have heard that if you own a home (or if let's say your parents were paying and they own a home), the event can probably be added for a small fee to homeowners' insurance.  That might be cheaper than just buying it separately, as we are going to do.

Good luck!

• Options
    We're going to go for it too. After looking into it a bit, $300 or so is a small price to pay now for could be a catastrophe later. I am going to check with our homeowners policy and see if we can add onto that. Thanks for the suggestion. Good luck to you too!
  • Options
    wow great question. i didn't even think about that... how much is the insurance a month.
  • Options
    when we went to view a venue, the event planner mentioned it as well.
    its now a thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards