Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Decorating the church

Do you have to decorate the church if your having a church wedding?

Re: Decorating the church

• Nah. Most churches are already pretty and don't need much help. If you want to do something, pew bows and a few altar arrangements would be lovely.

Alternatively, if you don't have a date in mind, you could choose a time wen the church is already decorated. For example, our church put out really pretty white decorations for Easter, and leaves them out until summer starts. Lots of churches have pretty decorations out around Christmas time too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Nope, you don't have to.

We had some large flower arrangements, only because I wanted them.

• I made some pew bows.  They were just loops of ribbon with fabric roses hot glued onto them.  The attached picture was my inspiration.  It was also Lent when we married, so there were no other decorations.  We didn't even get floral arrangements as not all churches allow them during Lent.  It turns out we could have had them for our wedding, but we decided to save some money.  The church also would have thrown them away afterwards.

Remember that you won't be in the church for very long.  So don't spend too much money trying to decorate it.  Also, check with your church to see what type of decorations are permitted.  Our chruch required there be no metal or tape or glues put directly on the pews so as to not damage them.

• You don't *have* to but I prefer when the ceremony location, in this case a church, is decorated.  You could put some type of bows or flowers at the end of the pews and something larger at the altar.
  • We were going to not decorate at all not even with the pews bows.
  • We did a few pew bows for the front few bows. We also did alter flowers (mom & sister insisted) I thought church didn't need them, but it was one of those battles that wasn't worth fighting.
  • You dont have to but If you think you might regret it later, then do something simple. 
    Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards