• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO

Budget and DIY Weddings

Low Cost Wedding Bands

I have changed my mind on so many things for this wedding, it has gone from a civil ceremony at the courthouse to a ceremony with appetizers in the evening. The one thing I have remained clear on is that I wanted to purchase a set of matching rings.

I priced them online from jewellers and it was clear that it'd be from $500 - $600 to get a nice band for the both of us. But now that I look at our basic wedding budget I realize this may not be affordable. The total wedding budget is set at $2000, $300 is already spent on the dress, $140 aside for the licence... which doesn't look promising to then spend $600 on rings and afford everything else.

I have been looking at ebay for wedding bands and I see there are a lot of low cost options out there, they are made of materials I have never heard of rings being made out of though. We had both decided on golden bands with a stripe of silver going around so that they matched. I don't know what I should be looking for, as in what materials it should be made of.

If I qualify for a small personal loan from the bank in the early summer once I begin working full time I will not need to worry about these rings and could resell what I bought and buy what we want, but I don't want to spend money on something that won't make it to our 5 year anniversary when I would then replace the rings with a new set.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Low Cost Wedding Bands

• I live in a very small community, our online trading website is small and everyone wants top dollar for their rings. We have one pawn shop that still is overpriced on rings, it would only be slightly cheaper to go there.

I have checked walmart, my issue with the wesite (Canadian) is that they seem to be a little more costly on the men's rings that would match the women's rings. It would still save a couple hundred bucks and the sad thing is I am looking to still go lower than that...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Etsy? There are people that make rings on there.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    melbelleupBostonLilly12
  • There comes a point when you have to choose between price and material. Gold is expensive. Titanium, tungsten, stainless steel, and so forth are not. Even though you have never heard of them, rings made of these metals have become quite popular in the last 5 years or so. If you look for a plain white or yellow gold band, you should be able to purchase thin ones for about $150 each. Going for two-tone gold is what's keeping your price up.
  • The rings I've been seeing are Tungsten Carbide rings. From my understanding they are much more durable than a gold ring and pretty ones equal to about the cost of a plain band. The more I research them the more excited I seem to be getting!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We got our rings from Amazon, but we didn't want any stones in our bands. We also didn't want to spend a lot. There were a ton on there. H's ring was super cheap at $20. It wasn't something that he wanted to spend a bunch of money on since he didn't know if he would like wearing a ring. If something happens to it, it isn't heartbreaking since we didn't lose a lot of money on it.

RaineH
  • staar987 said:
    We got our rings from Amazon, but we didn't want any stones in our bands. We also didn't want to spend a lot. There were a ton on there. H's ring was super cheap at $20. It wasn't something that he wanted to spend a bunch of money on since he didn't know if he would like wearing a ring. If something happens to it, it isn't heartbreaking since we didn't lose a lot of money on it.
    I'll be looking at options like Amazon tomorrow to see what I can expect. Now that I read this it reminds me that my fiancé has a bad habit of misplacing his other rings when he takes them off... so perhaps it is a blessing I am looking at much cheaper rings. 

I just need to remember not to order anything yet, I am getting far to excited as the one year mark is almost here!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We got ours at www.iweddingband.com. Mine was a 14k plain yellow gold band and cost $89. His was a titamium band that was only $40.

• One thing to keep in mind with the Tungsten is once they are sized you cannot re-size it. That was part of the reason I went with white gold for myself. The white gold matches my engagement ring and also can be re-sized if I ever needed to. 

Another option if you have any old jewelry you don't want anymore is use the gold to make new rings. My best friend did that for their wedding bands.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    melbelleup
  • fre3doms said:
    One thing to keep in mind with the Tungsten is once they are sized you cannot re-size it. That was part of the reason I went with white gold for myself. The white gold matches my engagement ring and also can be re-sized if I ever needed to. 

Another option if you have any old jewelry you don't want anymore is use the gold to make new rings. My best friend did that for their wedding bands.
    This is the reason why I need to show some patience before ordering them if I do go with the Tungsten, I have the urge to purchase everything in advance but first want to make sure our weights don't change drastically before then. I at least want them to last until our 5th anniversary so that if we can afford a nice set of rings we can replace them. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fre3doms said:
    One thing to keep in mind with the Tungsten is once they are sized you cannot re-size it. That was part of the reason I went with white gold for myself. The white gold matches my engagement ring and also can be re-sized if I ever needed to. 

This is the reason why I need to show some patience before ordering them if I do go with the Tungsten, I have the urge to purchase everything in advance but first want to make sure our weights don't change drastically before then. I at least want them to last until our 5th anniversary so that if we can afford a nice set of rings we can replace them. 

I'm not familiar with Canada, but why not just go to your local department store (Macys, Kohls, or equivalent) and buy some sterling silver or stainless steel rings?

I guess I don't see what the big deal is if you're not planning for these to be permanent rings.

melbelleup
  • overstock.com

happybride8347
  • Don't forget about etsy! I just searched and there's tons ranging in various prices from under $100 to over $500. There are some nice $50 ones that are re-sizable too
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Got our rings on Amazon.com!

FI's was tungsten carbide for $25 and mine was plain white gold (no stones) for $120 (but I have fat fingers, a smaller size would have been right at $100. 
  • FI's ring was roughly $300 and is tungsten. Major thing though: tungsten is so strong that if it ever got caught in machinery or anything, it would take his finger right with it.
  • Now that I have started looking (and thanks to these responses) I now have too many options to consider! :P
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • For our wedding, I got his ring for $20 at KMart. 14k gold band. My ring was $80 from Walmart. 2 gold bands 10K with Diamond Accent. They have lasted but we are getting new rings for our renewal. We looked at Walmart but they dont have hubbys size. 
    Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

• I recently bought a ring off of ebay, seller is lord of gems. They are a company based in china but I think the quality is great for the price. Check out pricescope.com.... there are a ton of good reviews on the company around the forum for this company. I've had my ring for about 6 months now and no problems with diamonds falling out or anything. I think I paid 200? for it.
  • Also check out Bj's or sams club.

• snow12 said:
    Also check out Bj's or sams club.
    That's what I was going to suggest. We will probably get our bands at Sams club because we can get 10 or 14 K white or yellow gold for a very reasonable price.  Maybe like $90 for mine and $150 for his.  Their bands are definitely plain and simple, but that's what we want.
  • I was on ebay and saw some beautiful rings. I'm not a fancyperso so I was looking at the cubic zirconia sets. they were very nice, I also looked at diamond ones, and saw some reasonably priced sets.  I'm just wondering if I can't afford the diamonds, will CZ be acceptable?